crescent cookies - chapter 1

9 months later.

The Hybrid awaited her friend in the back of a black SUV. Laying on her back with crossed arms, she shut her eyes and breathed in the Bayou air. Her black vest rose as she stretched and exposed her toned stomach.

A buzzing noise encased her ears suddenly and her triceps flexed as she sat up quickly seeing that a mosquito had found the cinnamon cookies she had brought with her. 'Oi. Piss off.' She mumbled as she swatted it away and regretted not taking extra care. No matter what time of year it was, the Bayou was always a sauna. After the intruder had left them alone, she leant back on her hands and let the sun shine down on her again until she heard rustling in the long grass.

Hayley Marshall arrived onto the scene on all four paws before turning back into her human form. 'I'm not looking!' Astrid joked which earned a laugh from her best friend. Once she was dressed, she paced over to Astrid's truck slowly and stretched. Hayley smiled tiredly and she leaned on the car and crossed her arms.

'You better not be here to drag me back to prison'

Astrid laughed and feigned offence, holding her hand up to her chest. 'Me? Never!' She pointed a finger in Hayley's face, 'Don't mistake me for them two.'

Looking over at the cookies, she picked one up and held her hand out to Hayley, 'I'm here to simply make sure that your new hybrid appetite is appeased with something other then live animals'

Hayley smiled properly when she saw the crescent shaped cookie covered in icing sugar and gladly accepted Astrid's offering, 'God you're a good baker' she mumbled as she took a big bite, icing sugar puffing out like a cloud as she bit down. 'Also, the moon shape just a coincidence.. or?'

The pair laughed as Astrid replied, 'Well I figured it would be fitting considering things'

'Oh' Astrid poked a finger up in the air as if a lightbulb went off and reached over to grab a duffel bag, pulling out Hayley's jewellery including the Crescent ring that she had given to her all those months ago.

Flashback.
9 months ago.

Elijah's concern for Hayley that morning had resonated with Astrid for most of the day. That afternoon, she brought her truck out for the first time to find Hayley sitting by the shack with her chin resting on her knees and tears flowing freely.

'Hayley' Astrid breathed and ran out of the truck instantly, sitting down next to the mourning mother. 'Is she okay?' Hayley sniffled and Astrid nodded, 'I'm sure she is. Rebekah's got her now.'

'I don't know how I'm gonna do this, Astrid.'

To hear the Labonair girl so broken hurt Astrid deeply and she placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. 'Together, Hayley. We do this together.'

The two embraced for a moment and Astrid dug the third ring out of her pocket, rotating it around her finger when Hayley noticed, 'What's that?'

'Well..' She begun and she welled up at the thought of her old friends, 'I had one, your mum had one and your dad had one... I already-'

'You gave one to Hope.'

Hayley seemed touched by Astrid's choice and the hybrid wife carried on, 'And you can have the third' The two looked at each other for a moment before Hayley nodded profusely, 'That's perfect'.

Astrid handed it to her and finished her emotional speech, 'I'm not going to force you to do anything. You take your time and you move from this point how you please. Just know that I'm here.'

Flashback Over.
Present Day.

Since then she was rarely at the Compound, Astrid came out to visit her whenever she could. Hayley took the ring and placed it on her finger, 'Thank you.'