bloody state of arkansas - chapter 20

Hayley was practically jumping in her seat by the time they reached their location. For the first time in a long time a Mikaelson car ride wasn't full of tension or angst, but excitement. Rebekah had hidden out in a house in the Arkansas, Nik had informed Astrid that it was the house they hid out in for a few nights back in 1919 before leaving for Chicago.

Niklaus's wife let out a hearty laugh when he also informed her that he compelled a wine connoisseur to keep it up whilst the Mikaelson's weren't holding residence and made a comment about how much Rebekah must be enjoying herself. Hayley found the chat between the a thousand year old lovers amusing, laughing at the stories they would tell  and questioning Astrid's claims about Nik's drunk painting rampages.

'I swear, Hayley! On anything!' Astrid was red faced as she turned to face the back seat, making gestures with her hands to mimic a painting in front of her, 'He got so drunk once that he actually set fire to them! In the middle of the bloody Compound!'

Nik knew what was coming next and tried to stop her from finishing her story. He tried pushing Astrid's excited hands down, 'Alright alright, she's heard enough.' He laughed but she pointed a finger in his face, 'Shut up! She needs to know!'

'When I freaked and put the fire out, I asked him what he was doing and he turned around and went- ' she squinted her eyes and done the best impression of her drunk husband she could possibly muster, 'I told you I'm going to set the world ablaze with my paintings.'

Hayley facepalmed and broke out into another fit of laughter which was provoked even further when Astrid informed her that he did indeed pass out straight after. The moment slowed when Nik pulled into the driveway of the house and all three hybrids looked expectantly for the child.

The baby's mother looked ready to burst, she gripped the door handle and waited for the car to stop before running out when she saw Elijah and Rebekah with her daughter. From inside the car, Astrid and Klaus could be seen looking at each other for a moment before walking out themselves. Astrid had a buzzing smirk on her face and Klaus looked absolutely smitten at the child in his brother's arms. Hayley took her first and Astrid's heart melted at the sight, Vicky and Andrew would've be so proud of their daughter in that moment.

Astrid watched as Hayley turned to Nik and tears welled in her eyes as she watched her husband take Hope. The picture in front of her could've been a painting. Rebekah worryingly eyed Astrid after she enjoyed the moment, the Mikaelson sister still kept an eye out for her best friend considering it was her who first witnessed Astrid's reaction to the news of Nik's infidelities.

The blonde vampire welled up herself when Klaus and Hayley turned to Astrid and motioned her over. The brunette's eyes widened before walking over slowly and a tear fell from them when Hope turned to face her with a childish and innocent smile on her face, reaching out from her father's grip. 'I think someone wants to say hi.' Nik sounded dizzy with delight and Astrid and Hayley giggled, remembering that Hayley said that the day of the faction ball.

Astrid took Hope into her arms. 'Hello again, precious.' She cooed and Hope seemed overjoyed by the woman in front of her, a small hand landed on Astrid's nose with a gentle smack and the group burst out laughing.

...

'Curse on the first-born? What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?' Rebekah scowled when she had been informed of the information the oldest Mikaelson had fed them. 'Well, according to Finn, our sister Freya didn't die of plague. She was taken as payment by our aunt Dahlia, who then cursed all Mikaelson first-borns for eternity.' Klaus finished his explanation and Hayley grew concerned, 'Is any of this true?'

'It is if we are to believe Finn, who learned it from the bastion of truth-- our mother.' Elijah's sarcasm relaxed the tone and Astrid helped him out, 'My mother was looney but I doubt she would've told me about Dahlia as a child if it were true.' She looked at Nik as she finished, 'Sometimes I think she told me it as a scare factor because she realised I was a little closer to a particular Mikaelson then the rest.'