when hatred intervenes - chapter 5 part 1

'Love?'

Astrid had sunk deep into the ocean of concentration by now. Halfway through her painting, she went to pick up a grey bandana to push her curls back so she didn't have to keep blowing them out of her face. She didn't notice that Klaus had come in and that he was standing there, watching her in interest.

'Astrid?'

The echo of the Louis Armstrong record drowned out his voice. It spun quietly but Astrid lost herself in it. Throughout the centuries, Astrid was always the only Mikaelson to ever fall into music in such a way. It was her thing. Throughout the centuries, each Mikaelson had their coming and going obsessions.

Elijah always loved theatre, hence why he was adamant that Marcellus learn to read using Hamlet. Klaus had always had his art which Astrid quickly caught onto but the hybrid wife loved music.

It's more than I can bear
When they start to stare
'Cause they think
You're too good to be true

She began to hum in tune with it, completely unaware. The music wrapped around her like silk and she moved in rhythm, her husband letting her have her fun.

I still get jealous
When we kiss goodnight
Unless you hold me
Extra tight

Nik took a misstep and a floorboard creaked underneath him, making him grimace thinking she would turn round but all she did was smirk. She felt unstable in that moment but Nik's habits made her smile. When you spend a thousand years with someone, you often catch onto their habits and mannerisms - Nik feeling shaky and his wife's harsh demeanour.

Astrid caved in first, placing the pallette down and turning around to see a wide eyed and innocent Hybrid with one foot in the doorway, eyeing her as if she was going to pounce on him like a tiger. She realised the lyrics and smirked again, crossing her arms over her chest.

And dear, I know a secret
You didn't know I knew
I still get jealous
'Cause it pleases you

The song faded and Klaus stepped in properly, closing the door behind him. 'Should I ask?' He spoke quietly. 'They got Joe.' Her cheerful face faltered and she looked down at her feet. Klaus's guilt grew worse, whilst he was arguing with his big brother, his wife was hurting and he wasn't there. He mentally kicked himself for not following after her. 'Nik I can't keep doing this. The constant loss. So much has changed in the past year.'

'What can I do?' Nik asked, wanting to ease her pain. Such a simple gesture made her heart race, living as long as she did - she heard enough I'm sorries to last more then her lifetime.

'I love you' she pouted and Nik smiled, looking away. 'You know I love you.'

'Did you need anything or were you just checking on me?' She asked intently and Nik hung his head, 'I actually do need your help.' The two looked at each other for a moment before she took a deep sigh, 'God I hope you're gonna treat me better then the first mother of your child.'

'Is that your way of saying you want to have kids with me?' Nik grinned childishly and Astrid scoffed, walking past him and ruffling his hair as she did so. 'I don't think I would've married you if I didn't numbnuts!'

The Bayou.

'I told you, this place is deserted.'

Hayley almost seemed proud to prove a point to the father of her child and her best friend. 'I do wish you'd have more faith in your pack, love.' Astrid smiled at her. Klaus had told Astrid that he had planned to help Hayley find what was left of her pack.

'No, their scent is fresh. They're hiding.'

The hybrids used their heightened smell to their advantage and Klaus searched through empty tents as he spoke. 'Which means somewhere nearby, we will find the remnants of your pack.'