21

"Shotaro, did you set up the fairy lights?" Haechan asked, tapping her clipboard with her pen.

Shotaro poked his head out of the room, tangled in the cords of the small sparkly lights. "Yes and no. It's complicated." Haechan rolled her eyes and headed in to help the Japanese boy.

Mark paced around the living room impatiently. Prom was next Friday. A week from today. Haechan, Mark, and Shotaro had noticed Jeno and Jaemin hanging out together again. They were growing closer by the day. It made their hearts swell with pride for their close friend. So what had they done? They had set up a promposal. Of course they did.

 Jeno was currently at the library with Jaemin. The two were finishing up their last science project of the year together while the others secretly prepared the promposal they had told Jeno about beforehand. At first the raven haired boy was a little anxious, wondering if Jaemin would like it or even want to go to the dance with him but after lots of encouragement (and a little forcing) from Haechan, Jeno had agreed.

Mark chuckled to himself as he listened to the sounds of Shotaro and Haechan struggling to untangle the younger boy from the long chords of fairy lights he was supposed to fill the room with. Mark plugged in the speakers, sorting through the songs on his phone and coming across the one Jeno had sent to him.

"Puzzle Piece." He read. Jeno had insisted if they were doing a promposal he wanted to play a song he had written for Jaemin. The others had agreed, deciding it was sweet and something out of a movie. There's no way Jaemin could turn him down. 

"Ugh Shotaro hold still!" Haechan screeched at her friend as she untangled the long wires of fairy lights. 

"I'm trying!" He hissed back as the two struggled. Mark entered the room, laughing out loud at their idiocy. "What you laughing at Mork?" Shotaro scoffed, embarrassed by his own doing.

Mark waved his hand. "Pfft nothing. I was just going to tell you Jeno texted me. They'll be here in 5 minutes so you might want to untangle yourself." 

Both Shotaro and Haechan's mouths dropped open so that they were both gaping at Mark. Mark put a hand over his mouth, biting his lip to keep a straight face but it was just so humorous. 

"We'll try." Haechan muttered and went back to undoing a knot in the wires.

☁️☁️☁️

"Jeno why are you acting so suspicious?" Jaemin questioned, putting his hand over his partner's as Jeno steered his car into his spot on the road in front of his house. 

Jeno parked the car and clutched Jaemin's hand. "Suspicious?"

Jaemin nodded. "Uh yeah. You won't tell me what we're doing and you're giving me a strange vibe."

"Strange vibe?" 

"Yes okay?" Jaemin shrieked, clenching his fists at his sides until Jeno softly chuckled at his childlike behavior.

"Calm down Nana. I have a surprise for you. And this time you'll like it." He added, starting towards his home. "Hurry up!"

Jaemin crossed his arms, muttering under his breath, and hopped up the front steps to the patio. He knocked on the door but Jeno snuck up behind him and pushed it open.

"You're my missing puzzle piece~"

The song met Jaemin's ears as the boy entered the decorated room. He felt the heat of twinkly, sparkling strings of fairy lights on his face. The scent of roses filled the air along with the song. He recognized the lyrics very well. Turning to face Jeno, he fiddled with his hands, glassy eyes flicking around.