Chapter 3: Honeymoon in New Jersey

"First rule of being on the run," you whispered to Steve. "Don't run, walk."

"If I run in these shoes they're going to fall off," he whispered back and you stifled a snort while Steve shook his head and pushed up his fake glasses on the bridge of his nose.

You both followed Natasha into an Apple Store where she set herself up at one of the computers, quietly explaining how everything was going to go down.

"The drive has a Level Six homing program, so as soon as we boot up SHIELD will know exactly where we are."

"How long do we have?" you asked.

"About nine minutes from..." she placed the flash drive in the computer. "Now."

"Fury was right about that ship, with Batroc, somebody's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some sort of AI, it keeps rewriting itself to counter your commands," you noted, pointing to the code on the screen.

"Can you override it?' Steve asked Natasha.

"The person who developed this is slightly smarter than me. Slightly," she emphasized. "I'm gonna try running a tracer. This is a program that SHIELD developed to track hostile malware, so if we can't read the file, maybe we can find out where it came from."

While Natasha worked the tracer an employee came to the three of you,

"Hey, can I help you with anything?"

Now was your time to shine.

"Oh no. My fiance and maid of honour are helping me pick out a honeymoon destination," you smiled while holding onto Steve's arm.

"Right! We're getting married." Steve nodded, following along with the play although only somewhat unconvincingly.

"Congratulations." the employee smiled. "Do you guys have an idea of where you'll be going?"

Steve looked back at the computer where Natasha was typing away.

"Yeah Grant honey, do you know where we're going?" you asked.

"Um, New Jersey," he said and you could see a small piece of him die inside as a born and bred Brooklynite.

"Oh," the employee nodded and started to look at Steve rather intently like he recognized him and you both stiffened. "I have those exact same glasses,"

You laughed in relief and nodded. "You two are practically twins," you smiled.

"Yeah, I wish. Specimen. Uh...if you guys need anything, I've been Aaron." he nodded and walked off.

"Thank you," Steve said and gave him a small wave before turning back to Natasha. "You said nine minutes."

"Shh, relax." she frowned. "Got it." she nodded and you all looked at the location on the screen, Wheaton, New Jersey.

"You know it?' you asked Steve.

"I used to." he nodded. "Come on let's go." he urged, making his way out of the store, you following next to him while Natasha was slightly ahead. "Standard tac-team. Two behind, to across, two coming straight at us. If they make us, I'll engage, you two hit the south escalator to the metro."

"Shut up and put your arm around her," Natasha said quickly.

"And laugh at something I said,"

"What?" Steve looked at you both confused.

"Just do it!" you insisted and Steve complied, wrapping an arm around your shoulder, pulling you in close and laughed at something you supposedly said, letting you walk by the two agents headed straight towards you, undetected.