Chapter 1: I Don't Need a Date

Standard mission procedure, get in, get the hostages, get out. Very self-explanatory and fairly easy and with very few bumps along the road from previous experience. While you were prepping your parachute you noticed Natasha and Steve both making their way towards you, testing out the secure line between the three of you.

"Secure line seven," Steve said into his comm.

"Secure line seven," you and Natasha both repeated into your comms and continued your tasks.

"So you got any plans Friday night?" Natasha asked Steve, tilting her head to the side.

"Well, all the guys in my barbershop quartet are dead, so no." he shook his head and strapped on his gloves.

You let out a chuckle, all too familiar with the banter between the two.

"Why don't you ask out that girl from Communications, Stacey isn't it?" Natasha suggested.

"Oh, she'd definitely say yes if you asked," you added.

"That's why I don't ask," he noted, walking to the end of the ramp.

"Too shy or too scared?" Natasha teased.

"Too busy," he shrugged and hopped out of the plane.

"You know what, you gotta have mad respect for that, jumping out of a plane to avoid a conversation? That takes commitment," you chuckled and Natasha rolled her eyes.

"Was he wearing a parachute?" one of the younger, lower-level agents asked.

"Nope," you grinned. "No, he wasn't."

"You can't just stop yourself from lying, can you?" Steve said angrily, walking into Fury's office.

You stood next to his desk, ready to give a debrief on your most recent mission. You also hadn't been informed of Agent Romanoff's little side task and you had to admit you couldn't say you were too pleased having not known about it.

You had higher clearance than both Steve and Natasha and you thought you deserved an explanation, but you decided to save your words with Fury for a later date, the Captain didn't need to be a part of that conversation.

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission from you," Fury stated plainly.

"The hostages could've died," Steve said and you could hear the frustration seeping through his voice.

"I sent the greatest soldier around to make sure that didn't happen," Fury insisted and you fought the urge to roll your eyes. As much as you loved and admired your boss he could be clearly misguided at times.

"Fury you know damn well soldiers trust each other and that's what makes a group, an army. Not just a bunch of idiots shooting guns like some trigger happy maniacs," you interrupted. "I know Captain Rogers might have a problem with you not disclosing that information, but I was the agent with the highest clearance on that ship. You ever think it would be a good idea to tell me?"

Seemed it was now too late to have the discussion later.

"You're both wrong, about me," Fury placed his hand on his desk, leaning forward slightly. "I share things too. I'm nice like that."

When Fury said he shared things, this wasn't what you expected and you were pretty damn sure Steve didn't expect it either. Underneath SHIELD headquarters were three large helicarriers, in the process of being built. Fury explained they belonged to a SHIELD project, designed to take out targets before people even knew they were a threat.