Chapter 7 ~ Max's POV

My game was so off on Sunday afternoon. My stress had only worsened and Sammy and Ken's persistence to know all the details of Friday night didn't help. Kendrick's team won in the practice match and my mood fell off another steep cliff.

I took my time in the changerooms because my mum had texted to say she was running late, and I cursed myself when I emerged from the shower to face the change rooms, alone except for one other person: James Kendrick. Of course.

I needed to break the tension.

"What are you still doing here?" I spoke out dryly.

His mum was late.

I shuffled around to my bag, shoving on my shirt and boxers discreetly before finally acknowledging the elephant in the room. I begged my voice not to shake as I mentioned the party.

"I saw you at the party on Friday."

"I saw you too, but I didn't say hi, I mean- I didn't want to interrupt you." His lack of game-playing made my life easier and my attention was captured. His stutter was unlike him and it intrigued me.

"You looked pretty preoccupied too. I didn't think you were a relationship guy, but I also didn't think you were into PDA. You really put on a show for us." I commented. I knew I was slut shaming, but I wanted to push him further. I was disappointed by his nonchalant shrug and rolled my eyes at the flaky paint on the changeroom wall before turning back to face him.

"Well, if you enjoyed it, that's all that matters."

James' boldness irritated me and I pretended to laugh at his joke. I expected the conversation to end there but it seemed Kendrick wanted to keep playing with me.

"So, who was that guy you were with? He was cute." He spoke in a condescending tone. The guy was fucking with me, whether he knew it or not.

"Why do you want to know?" I answered defensively.

"So, I can get his number?"

What the fuck? I thought. But then I remembered the way he shamelessly grinded into the random guy at the party and my confusion faded. I hated that Jake was being brought into his mind game.

"Right. Of course you would. He's a friend of mine from school."

"And you like him?" James asked bluntly.

He saw right through me and I panicked. So I lied.

"What are you trying to get at here? Your stupid games are tiring, Kendrick."

I spoke out honestly. But I didn't stop there. I angrily shoved my gear into my bag to stop myself from saying anything else I would regret and losing my cool. If I did, it could have been the end for me.

"Are you jealous? Are you trying to get under my skin and fuck over my season? Seriously James."

I managed to maintain my voice at a low volume but the temptation to shout was soon going to over power me.

"I thought that was pretty obvious." James spoke softly after a short pause.

Was he flirting with me? Nothing and everything was obvious and our argument didn't clarify or correct my conflicted feelings towards him. My struggle in identifying my attraction or envy was amplified and I met his eyes, trying to read him. I denied myself the privilege of believing that maybe he had feelings towards me. I dragged my hand through my tangled wet locks and said calmly "You confuse the shit out of me, James,".

James' blank expression didn't give me any insight to his thoughts so I gave up and slowly turned away, sighed, and picked up my stuff. His phone chimed and he quickly grabbed his things. I heard his footsteps shuffling swiftly over the tiles and then he collided straight into my body. This time I didn't catch him, just stood stoically and pretended that I couldn't feel tingles where his fingers were placed on my chest to help himself balance. For once his emotions were written on his face, the blush on his cheeks told me he was embarrassed and his gaze on the ground told me he was ashamed. My mind thought of Jake Bradfield, and I felt sick. I couldn't allow myself to feel that way about Kendrick. It was... wrong. And unfair to Jake. 

Author's note: OOOOH the tEa hahaha 

Serriously thanks so much for reading. 

I love you, you're beautiful, have a lovely rest of ur day/night xxxx