Chapter 70

Loki woke to someone shaking him awake. That wasn't right. People knew not to shake the god of mischief awake. He tended to stab first and look to see who had woken him later. Unless it was his beloved mama or his Sigyn, of course. But he'd known them his entire life. Their presence wouldn't startle him when he woke.

But Loki hadn't been startled. He'd only been woken. So that meant it had to be someone close to him to be able to sneak up to him to wake him. He slept lightly after all the torture he'd been through. So only those he trusted could get close enough to actually wake him by touching him.

He was still sure it wasn't his mother or Sigyn.

The hand was too small to be Thor's, so therefore... Loki groaned. "Arachnid, go back to sleep," he grumbled and tried to pull the blanket over his head to ignore the annoying puppy for awhile longer and get some more sleep. Peter usually knew not to wake the god. Loki never slept, so when he did he needed to be allowed to continue doing so.

"Sorry, witch," Peter said sheepishly, but wouldn't let Loki go back to sleep. "Wanda just warned me that Mama Frigga is getting ready to explain what's going on to the team,"

Loki groaned and sat up slowly. He realized he was still in the bed in the healing wing. It took him a moment to remember what was going on. "I'm up, I'm up," he replied.

Peter looked worried "Maybe you should stay here?" He asked. Loki had been through a lot. So had Peter and they both could use some rest.

Loki shook his head. "No, I need to be there for the exposition," he replied and got to his feet. He glanced down at his blood stained clothes and frowned. He used a bit of magic to clean himself up and change his clothes. He was grateful that his magic was still there and strong. Despite everything, he had regained enough magic to function again.

Peter moved closer, ready to steady Loki if the god needed his help. Loki gave him a soft smile. "I'm alright, Arachnid. My magic replenishes quickly at home. You'll understand soon," he added. It was important that Peter realize that he did have magic now and needed to learn how to use it eventually.

The basics would come soon. They still needed to deal with the situation with Hela, Peter accepting the fact that he was Asgardian now, him likely hating Loki for that, and Aunt May killing Loki for turning Peter Asgardian.

It really wasn't looking like a good time for Loki was coming up soon, but that wasn't atypical in his life. He just prayed to all the gods above him that he wouldn't lose his blood brother over his choice to save Peter's life.

Loki shook the thoughts from his head. There were still higher priority problems that he had to deal with, much as he wanted this problem dealt with first. He hated that this unfinished business between himself and his blood brother was looming over them. It would continue looming until they had time to discuss it, until Peter could decide whether to forgive Loki the debt or not. The decision could be postponed for a little while yet, but it would come. By Asgardian law, if Peter forgave the debt, he couldn't demand reparation for it later. Otherwise, they would be wary of each other, wary of that reparation, for the rest of the long millennia of their days. It wasn't something anyone wanted in long-lived races, therefore the law stated that once forgiveness was given or reparation demanded, the judgment stood for eternity.

He looked over Peter and saw that he had had time to clean up and change into Asgardian clothes. The servants must've brought some of his clothes down to the healing wing for him. "Ready?" He asked. He didn't have to ask where the others were. He had an uncanny ability to find his mama no matter where she was on the realm.

Peter nodded and bounced over to Loki's side. He really was like a puppy and in moments like that, it felt like nothing had changed between them. Loki felt himself relax at the familiarity of it and strolled alongside Peter, who chatted companionably as always as they walked. Some things never changed, including Peter's inability to not talk for more than five seconds at a time. Loki wouldn't have it any other way. Not anymore.

He chuckled at himself and how much he'd changed.

Peter looked up at him. "What're you laughing at?" He asked. The story he'd been telling wasn't funny, or at least he hadn't thought it was.

Loki smiled. "How much I've changed since I met you, Arachnid. I used to think you annoying and nothing more than Stark's brat," he teased fondly.

Peter laughed and beamed up at Loki. "Somehow, that assessment doesn't surprise me. I'm glad things have changed," he added with a reassuring grin.

Loki paused and wrapped an arm around Peter's shoulders, pulling him close. "As am I," he said softly. Peter grinned and wrapped both his arms around Loki's waist in a tight enough hug that Thor would've been stabbed for the offense. When it was Peter, Loki purred softly and settled into the affection. He stayed holding Peter for a long moment before he pulled back. "Come along, Arachnid, we best get to mother before we miss all the exposition," he said and started to the moron three's lair, where Thor was entertaining the Avengers, and where Frigga was getting ready to give them all an explanation.

Peter laughed and bounced to catch up and keep pace with Loki's long stride. Neither of them wanted to miss the exposition. Loki was surprised Frigga would give it without him and guessed that Thor or Tony had gotten impatient and pressed her for answers. Or possibly the court.

It was more likely that it was a combination of all of them. He wouldn't hold it against her. He knew she would have caught him up later. That didn't mean he wanted to miss it now. So he lengthened his stride to make it to the morons' lair before Frigga started the explanation.