★ Thirty-One ★

guys it's. it's the end. i-- *FUCKING CRIES* ok ok i listened to the linked song while writing and was sobbing so like, listen to it when u read please it's the perfect closing to this all. the song already makes me cry enough but now i'm just-- *dies* i feel bad that this writing is shit, because it deserved to be so much better to finish this off. ((barely edited, u know the drill.))

*deep breath* i love u all, i hope u enjoy. i truly can't believe that this is over. thank u <3

----

Frank's heart was pounding as he stood on the stage, lips curled into a smile as he accepted his diploma -- clad in his cap and gown, shaking the principal's hand as he walked off, ecstatic as his chest lifted with excitement and a sickly sweet sense of closure.

He was officially a fucking real life adult, holy shit.

Returning back to his seat, he longed to see Gerard and his friends -- but couldn't, being separated by alphabetical order between them. He glanced back to Gerard, though, catching his gaze and smiling widely. Gerard smiled back, eyes crinkling as he shot him a thumbs up.

Frank cheered loudly as each of his friends received their diplomas, but especially the loudest as Gerard finally went up -- feeling sudden tears brim his eyes at the suddenness of it all, of how this was all already nearing to and end after all these years. ((a/n: GUYS THERE ARE LITERAL TEARS IN MY EYES RIGHT NOW OH MY GOD))

As the final name was called, all caps were tossed in the air -- Frank giggling as he jumped up and caught his, cheers erupting all around him as his chest tightened around a nostalgic feeling. He rushed over to Gerard as quickly as he could, wrapping tight arms around his neck as he kissed him deeply -- the two spinning around in excitement as their gowns flitted around the breeze they created.

Gerard laughed through tears, pulling back and pressing his forehead against Frank's -- excitement booming all around them as tears dribbled onto both their cheeks. "Oh my god, why the fuck am I crying?" ((a/n: me right now.))

"I don't know." Frank laughed through a sob, drying his eyes with his sleeve as he grabbed Gerard's cap from his hand; reaching on his tip-toes and propping it crookedly atop his chestnut locks, curling around his face as he grinned. ((a/n: help i just accidentally ate chapstick this is not helping.))

The rest of the group ran over then, and they all grinned together -- Mrs. Iero insisting on taking photos, as did Mrs. Nestor, who had actually grown quite a fond friendship together after their children had befriended the other.

Frank was watching Gerard the whole time, a proud smile wide on his face as Gerard smiled right on back -- both still unable to clasp the feeling and realization that this was all finally over; that they were no longer just simple high-school students, that they were due to finally enter the real world.

But Frank couldn't have been happier, especially with Gerard by his side through it all...

☆☆☆

The last day of school was finally upon them, and Frank was feeling as if he existed on a different plane of existence. A feeling that settled in often, as summer finally arrived -- shock at how quickly everything had flown by, and how it was all drawing to an end.

He was sat in Mrs. Turner's class, actually enjoying it for once as they read The Cat in the Hat -- which was character development if Frank had ever seen it, laughing along with the old hag as they read through the picture book.