Chapter 2: The Roommates

"So, where are you from?" Maggie said conversationally while lugging her bags onto her bed in their dormitories. 

"Massachusetts," Lily nonchalantly fiddled. with her flip cellphone. Massachusetts wasn't the grandest place to live, but it's been her home since she could remember. She just couldn't imagine being anywhere else but there, although, this school surely had it's advantages. "You?" 

"Well, I originally lived in Nebraska, until I was about nine, then my dad received a job offering in Liverpool." Maggie thinly smiled trying to be friendly. This explained a lot; no wonder Maggie had never come in contact with a bully, England was classy, or as her eleven-year-old mind thought it was. Also explained why she called her older sister a bloke about ten minutes earlier. 

The dormitory door barged open, the girls encountered two boys headlocking each other. One had a dark brown trend hair cut that was mid length enough to cover half of the ears and a swept fringe. One thing Lily noticed was his girlish screechy laugh and his massive beaver teeth. The other was short and stocky, he had golden crimped short hair, short bangs, and hazel eyes. 

"Will you be rooming with us?" Maggie rolled her eyes in exasperation. Lily didn't blame her, she wouldn't want to room with two immature boys, what kind of school even lets boys and girls room together?

"No, we came to your room to say hi." The golden haired boy said sarcastically. Maggie rolled her eyes once again. The room soon fell silent while the two boys unpacked. After that, all they did was laugh annoyingly and talk in childish accents. Maggie leaned in and whispered in Lily's ear. "Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver." Lily stifled a quick giggle.

"Hey, you haven't said two words to your new roomies yet," The golden haired boy made a pout face. "Jared McCoy. Born and raised in South Detroit." He extracted his right hand then winked. Maggie unwillingly shook it. 

"Kai Matthews." The other boy smiled softly revealing his prominent beaver like teeth.

It wasn't long until another interference occured. This time, a boy with copper bushy hair barged into the room looking panic struck.

"Has anyone seen a notebook? Mine has mysteriously gone missing, I've spent all summer reading my textbooks cover to cover. All that work for nothing," He walked back and forth. 

"Who spends all summer studying? Not me anyway," Maggie eyed him curiously as if he had ten heads. His hair and personality reminded her of some kind of Albert Einstein character.

"If you'd care to look in the handbook, Margaret, all first years are being tested of what we studied over the summer," He wagged his finger then plopped his minute satchel on the vacated bed and began to pull out hundreds of books. How could all of those books fit in that puny bag? It was almost like in Mary Poppins, how the bag was seemingly bottomless. 

"Wait, how'd you know my name?" Maggie panicked. "Oh my God, Lily! He does know everything!" Maggie shook Lily wildly.

"No, not officially anyway," He thinly smiled. On my orientation paper it said I'd be rooming with a Lily Chance, Margaret Watson, Jared McCoy, Kai Matthews, and Sadie Lavenge. You had to be Margaret, the girl beside you with the green eyes looks like a Lily, intuition I suppose," He smirked. "Cepheus Bennett, no need to ask your names then," He introduced himself, after Maggie began to chuckle.

"What?" Cepheus said as if he'd missed something rather humorous.

"Sadie Lavenge... That's a funny name," Maggie laughed immaturely.

Within a split second, the door was kicked open by a thin, tall blond girl. She was accompanied by two bulky men bringing in several golden suitcases. "You think my name's funny, do you?" She spit. This must have been Sadie they all thought. "Unacceptable," Sadie rolled her eyes.

 "What, you don't like the room?" Cepheus said in astonishment. 

"I like the room just fine. It's the people in the room I can't stand." Sadie sneered.

The rest of the roommates exchanged annoyed expressions. The room soon fell into an awkward state of silence until Lily broke it.

"Uhm, Saide, if that's your name, you're bed's over there..." She pointed to the bed tucked away in the corner trying to change subjects.