Chapter Seventeen- Couldn't Leave It Alone

He couldn't leave it alone, could he?

After wasting valuable minutes lecturing her son, Cass was now quickly running out of time to stop Klaus from doing something stupid

After wasting valuable minutes lecturing her son, Cass was now quickly running out of time to stop Klaus from doing something stupid. She raced out of Elliot's to the diner as fast as she could. But it wasn't fast enough.

Klaus came running out of the diner just as Cass arrived. He turned his face away, staring at his shoes, as soon as he saw her. But Cass still saw the tears.

"Hey Klaus," Cass said so softly she wasn't sure if he had even heard.

"Hey..." he sniffled, "Hey Cass..."

Cass just stood there, in the street in front of her crying adult brother, not caring about any of the weird looks they were receiving from passers by. She couldn't imagine what Klaus was going through. After time travelling when they were trying to stop the first apocalypse and losing the love of his life, only to find himself time travelled back to before he had even met Dave...and now for Dave to want nothing to do with him. Cass just wanted to give Klaus a break. But she couldn't work miracles.

Klaus looked up at her, making awkward eye contact as she wiped away his tears only for more to fall. Cass held her arms open.

"Oh please, I'm not a child," Klaus pouted. Cass sighed and let her arms droop to her sides. She turned around to face where she assumed Ben would be standing.

"He couldn't leave it alone, could he?"

"Hey!" Klaus grumbled, "I heard that! And Ben's behind you."

"Oh," Cass mumbled and turned around, "He couldn't leave it alone, could he?"

*

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Cass asked, cautiously as she followed Klaus into a liquor store.

"Eurgh," Klaus grumbled, "You're starting to sound like Ben."

"That might not be a bad thing," Cass pointed out but Klaus had other ideas.

"Shut up, Ben!" he shouted and started scooping bottles off the shelf and heaping them up in a trolley, "You have money, right?" he said, turning to face Cass.

"Yeah..." Cass sighed. Clearly there was no talking him out of this.

*

Klaus was drunk before they had even left the store.

"Why didn't you drive here?" Klaus grumbled as Cass helped him walk back to where he had told her he lived. Cass now found herself helping her very drunk brother up the front steps of what looked like a very, very expensive mansion.

"Are you sure you got the right address?"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Klaus brushed off, wriggling free of Cass' grip and pulling out a set of keys. But before Klaus had a chance to prove to Cass that he actually lived there by unlocking the door, the door swung open.