Chapter 4

Today was finally the day that I started my volleyball assistant job. I had my lovely pink sweatsuit on, my bailey button ugg boots, and my hair was pulled up in a neat bun.  As I walked into the gym I spotted Mr. Jones. I walked over to where he was standing.

"Hey Lily," he greeted, giving me a hug.

I indulged myself in the warmth of his arms. "Hi Mr. Jones."

Pulling away, he said, "Okay, so today you will be working really hard. I hope you're ready." He had suddenly gone  from friendly to coachy.

"I'm as ready as they come," I replied with confidence.

********************************************

Practice had been going on for a few hours now.

"OK guys, before we run laps I need to take attendance. Now it is important for you to come to practice because I do things a little differently. Whoever has the least attendance will sit out on games. Do you understand?"

They all replied in unison, "Yes, Coach Jones."

He looked at me. "I need you to go to my office and get my clipboard. I forgot to get it."

"Sure, no problem."

His office was actually nice for a volleyball coach/creative writing teacher. On his desk was his teacher I.D. It was marked Daniel Jones.  I began to examine his desk. I opened his drawer and found a large set of keys. I looked around to make sure there was no one else there, then placed them in my pocket. Ms. Young walked into the office. Her desk was right beside his.

"Hello, Lily," she greeted.

"Hi," I replied with a fake smile.

I didn't like Ms. Young. I'd heard rumors about her and Mr. Jones dating. I didn't care if the rumors were true or not, I didn't want to even hear the idea. She was twenty four and Mr. Jones was twenty three. They would have made a cute couple, but me and Daniel would make a cuter one. I saw a picture of his daughter Cassey on his desk.

"Aw, is that his daughter?" I asked.

She smiled. "Yeah, her name is Cassey."

"She doesn't look much like her father."

She smiled at me. "Really, you don't think so?"

"No, she must look like her mother. Wow, that lady must be stunning."

Ms. Young's smile went away quickly. Exactly what I wanted. I was starting to think that the rumor about Mr. Jones and Ms. Young was true, since she got so defensive. She picked something up and then left, finally. As soon as she left I headed toward the gym to give Mr. Jones his clipboard before he became suspicious.  I handed him his clipboard and told him I had to go make a quick stop somewhere.

I grabbed my keys and headed to my car. I went to a home improvement store. There was a old man in line who was irritating the hell out of me. I could see that the cashier was getting irritated also.

"I found these, I think these are the ones," the old man said.

"I don't think these are what you need, Mr. Smith. These are for tight spaces," she explained.

"Huh?" he said.

"Tight spaces."

"I need this for my fence."

"I understand, but your gonna need a bigger one."

"What?"

"A bigger brush," she specified.