Chapter 3

Strutting into the crowded hallways of Silver Creek I felt everybody staring. Maybe it was because my outfit was cute, maybe it was because they heard my boyfriend Will and his parents "disappeared" over the summer. It was hard not to laugh at their curious faces. I knew they wanted to know how I felt, what I knew about his disappearance, what type of questions the police had asked, etc. I enjoyed the attention being on me. I would be sure to keep the excitement flowing throughout the school year. I went inside the main office to receive my schedule and saw the most gorgeous guy ever. He looked young but mature at the same time. Of course I had to walk over to him.

"Hi, I'm Lily, and you are...?"

He smiled. You could see his deep dimples begin to form as soon as he smiled. "Hi, I'm Mr. Jones."

I laughed. "Mr.? you can't be a parent. You look too young."

"No, I'm the new creative writing teacher, but I do have a five year old daughter. Her name is Cassey."

He pulled out a picture of her. She was beautiful. She had long strawberry blonde hair, her eyes were hazel, and she had a cute little dimple on her right cheek.

I smiled at him. "Aw, she is so precious."

He shut his wallet and said, "Well, I have to get prepared for my first class. Nice meeting you."

"Nice meeting you too. See you in fourth period."

He gave me a confused look, so I showed him my schedule.

He said, "Ah, my creative writing honors class. Nice." He finally left the room. Creative writing just got a little more interesting.

****************************************************************

All I could think about was Mr. Jones and his cute seductive smile, and now it was finally time for his class. While everyone else was in the hallway getting ready for class and chatting with their friends, I was already in his classroom, seated in the front. The bell finally rang and class began. He winked at me and my cheeks were so pink it was almost embarrassing.

He clapped his hands loudly, which shut everybody up from their private conversations. "Good morning class, my name is Mr. Jones and I will be your creative writing teacher this year. What we will be doing this semester-"

Suddenly my best friend Lotti walked in. She gave Mr. Jones a pass.

"Lily White, you have been excused," he announced.

I bit my bottom lip and got up. I was confused. Why was I being excused from class? It was the first day of school, I knew I couldn't have possibly done anything wrong.

Right before I walked through the door Mr. Jones pulled me aside. "I was going to tell the class this at the end of the period, but since you're already leaving I guess I can tell you now. I'm going to be coaching the volleyball team and I am looking for a student assistant." He gave me a sign up sheet and I wrote my name down. "It will give you the community service hours you need to graduate," he explained.

I nodded, making sure he knew I understood. "I really need the community service hours."

I was going to get this assistant thing. I was sure of that because if I didn't people were going to die. I would make sure of it. As I was walking down the hallway I looked at Lotti. "What the hell is going on?" I asked, but she just laughed at me. "Lotti, what the fuck is funny?"

She couldn't stop laughing. When she finally managed to control herself again, she smiled at me. "That's a fake note. I know people. So I need to know what the deal is about Will's so called ‘disappearance.’" She leaned over to me and whispered, "You and I both know it wasn't a damn ‘disappearance’ and I want to know how you killed him."