Chapter 2

"Running, running away from light, away from life, away from pain. Running to the Darkness." -XxBlackRoseXx

***************************************************************

Lily's Flash Back

"I used to be a good child, you know,” I said, examining the blade of the knife in my hand. I began pacing around him, each step of my steel toed boots echoing around the abandoned warehouse. They were pink, outwardly innocent, but could deliver rib shattering force when I needed them to. "I did everything I was supposed to do, I had the perfect grades. Well, I still do, actually."

I could see the fear in his eyes. The adrenaline was building up inside of me. I had always wanted to be an actress, so I made sure most of my killings were as theatrical as possible.

"Awww, you look hungry... Are you hungry?" I walked toward him and stabbed him in his right leg. I removed the duct tape from his mouth.

As soon as I removed the duct tape he began to scream, "Help, somebody help me!”

I punched him in the  face. "Shut the fuck up." I was getting frustrated.

He wasn't very cooperative. I wrenched his mouth open and shoved the knife in, making sure he could taste the blood. "It's yummy, isn't it?"

The knife sliced into the side of his mouth as I withdrew it, and he jerked involuntarily at the pain.

He looked me in the eyes. Those gorgeous grey eyes of his. They were very rare, people with grey eyes. He asked, "Why are you doing this to me? I thought we were friends."

I laughed at him. "Friends?" I sat on his lap. "Let me tell you a little secret. I don't have any friends except Lotti."

He asked, "What about Tanya, Katie, Elizabeth, and everyone in the whole school? You are the most popular girl in Silver Creek High School."

I smiled at him. He was so cute. Too bad he was going to die. "It's called acting, sweetheart. Everyone knows I want to be an actress. The most important part of being popular is to be a very good actress." I kissed him on the cheek. "Truth is, I hate all of you," I began to kiss down his throat, "except Lotti, of course."

I observed that his eyes had begun to water. Pathetic.  It made me angry to see how pathetic he was. If I had been in his position, I would have been thinking of a way to escape and how I would attack. Then again, no one really thought like I did.

I kissed him intensely. "Save your tears for the pillow." I laughed. "Oops, sorry, I mean save your tears for your death bed." I was waiting for his parents to come, knowing that they would when they found the fake suicide note I'd written for Will. It had included the address of the warehouse and said that that was where Will intended to kill himself and where they would find his body. I knew they weren't the type to involve emergency services unless they had to, so they'd come alone to see if Will was okay or not first. I heard a car pulling up and knew it was his parents.

"The fun finally begins," I said, clapping my hands. I walked over by the electric chair to load my gun.

"Will?" I heard his mother’s soft but projecting voice. "Where are you, honey?"

As soon as I saw her walk inside, I shot her in the leg. She screamed. I knew as soon as I shot her, her husband would come running inside. I shot him also.

Will shouted, "Kill me, but please don't hurt them!"

I smiled at him. "How cute. Too bad the damage is done. I already shot  them, there's nothing I can do now.”

*****************************************

A few hours later, after having had my fun slowly frying Will’s parents in electric chairs, I got bored of them and finally let them die. Buying the electric chairs and then rigging the power in the warehouse so that I could use them had been one of my bigger investments, but also one of my favourites. It was amazing what you could buy if you had enough money. Chloe had naively ensured that I did, though she still thought I was saving it all for college.

The chair Will was sitting in was my own invention. It had straps to keep his arms, legs, and chest in place, and was covered in spikes not quite sharp enough to pierce his skin. There was a clamp that could be tightened to apply pressure to his head, and metal plates that his arms rested on that could be heated to the point of burning. It was always a pain to clean the melted skin off of the plates afterwards.

Over the past hour I had cut Will's face up and shot him twice in his leg, but none of it had been fatal. I slumped down onto the floor and stared up at the high ceiling of the warehouse as his screams echoed off the walls.

I began to sing, quietly at first, but as his screams tapered off into exhausted panting my voice rose to fill the quiet. "Choose your last words, this is the time, because you and I, we were born to die..."

It was pleasantly ominous, and if his wide-eyed stare was anything to go by he thought so too. I was starting to get bored, though. It was time to end this.

I got up with my knife in my hand and walked towards him. "You ruined everything for me." I began to get very angry. "You took my happiness away from me and now I’m going to take your life away from you."

His voice was really dry and raspy. "Lily, what are you talking about?"

I started tapping my foot. "You told my mother about the affairs that my father had been having. My mother loved my father so much that she drove my father and herself down a cliff. So they could die. Together." Tears began to pour down my cheeks. "You should've just kept your mouth shut. I could have handled everything on my own. Now I'm gonna ruin you."

I saw movement from the corner of my eye and glanced up to see someone with long bright blonde hair watching me from the warehouse door. It was Will's younger sister, Lexi. I took off running after her and she dashed outside, into the woods surrounding the warehouse. I was a year older, but fear and legs made strong from years of soccer practise made her faster than me. Eventually I gave up on the chase. I knew these woods but she didn't, so at least she would be nice and lost by now.

When I walked back inside the warehouse I discovered that Will had managed to break one of the buckles holding his wrists in place and was working on the other. That made me even madder. Now I'd have to waste my time fixing it after I was done with him.

I scowled at him. "Big mistake."

I stabbed him over and over again, not stopping even as his screams subsided and he went limp. I stood back, panting. Well, this was going to make it harder to dispose of the body. Bits were liable to fall out of it the moment I tried to move it. That was what tarps were for, I supposed.

I cleaned up every piece of evidence there was. I was still angry. Angry that Lexi was alive. Angry that there was a possibility that she would tell what she had seen. Angry at the world. William Jones was dead and so were his parents. I told myself that was the last I’d hear from Will’s family, but a part of me knew that wasn’t true. I’d studied Lexi enough to know that she wasn’t the type to tell, but I didn’t doubt that one day she’d come back to get her revenge. When that happened, I’d end her just as I had her brother and her parents.