TWO: Hidden Hero

"You think I don't know you, but you haven't changed"

"The hell do you mean?" I asked suspiciously.

We had been close, so close we both knew how the other acted when there was something off. Even without the help of my quirk I could always tell when he wasn't himself. And it seemed he was still the same. Just as I was.

"Your eyes are still bright. Hopeful. You're not where you should be, you're not where you want to be. I do know you"

He knew me too well, and I knew it would eventually lead to my cover being blown. But I couldn't stay away from him, I wanted to be with him, just like in the past.

Coincidentally, I found him up and about, not still stuck in that hospital bed like I expected him to be. With the wounds he had it would've taken him a while to get better, but it had only been about a month, possibly a little longer, since I last saw him. He must've been healed by Recovery girl, so he didn't have to wait so long to heal on his own.

He didn't look so bad now, his face no longer in bandages. His arms were still wrapped up, but it looked like he could move them now at least, no longer held in casts.

I cleared my throat as I approached him. "Shouta?"

He didn't stop walking, he acted like he never heard me, so I tapped his shoulder. He still didn't respond so I hurried up and moved in front of him, making him stop before he ran into me. His eyes narrowed and glowed red, showing he had his quirk activated.

"We're in public. You wouldn't attack me and cause a scene, would you? I know you don't like the attention," I say.

He sighed and let his eyes shut. "What do you want?"

"To talk. You know, catch up"

"What is there to know? You're a villain"

I point out a nearby bar. "One drink? My treat"

We sat on a couple bar stools, the bartender passing us our drinks soon after ordering them. We were both quiet for a bit, the loudness of the bar filling in the silence. I was the first one to say anything.

"So, those students of yours, they're pretty strong. Although some of them seem a little... odd"

He sighs. "They're a handful"

"They seem like the kind of group that does whatever they want. I imagine it's not ideal for you, dealing with kids that never listen"

In response he took a sip from his drink.

"It must be nice, though. Getting to watch them grow into young heroes. I imagine if I hadn't taken the path I did, I might've ended up in the same spot as you"

I drank about half of my drink, waiting to see if he was going to say anything. But he just focused on the drink in front of him, taking a couple sips now and then. I sighed and set my glass down on the bar.

"I'm a liar, just like the rest of them," I mumble. "Lying about my feelings, saying I'm fine when I'm actually the complete opposite. I'm a mess on the inside, but everyone only sees the "perfection" I am on the outside"

"What kind of mess are you?" He asks.

"I have so many secrets, so many regrets, worries... it's tearing me up, but there's nothing I can do about it. I can't even tell you the details because if I did I'd most likely die, it would put us both at risk"

He didn't ask for details, he remained silent, swishing his drink around in his cup. He clearly wanted to know, but he didn't want to push me.

"You scare me," I tell him.