Chapter 1: The Proposal

On Tuesday at 4 pm, Sneha sits alone over a dining table and eats one of the best Indian evening snacks, Masala Puri! Out of nowhere, Raj comes, pulls the chair with a scraping sound, and sits beside her.

Sneha: Oh! Hi Raj!!

Raj: Hi, Hi.

Sneha: How come you are here?

Raj: Just like that. You?

Sneha: I missed this place, Granny, and was bored with home and working from home. I made Masala Puri, it's good. Wanna taste some?

Raj: Oh, you made. Sure, I will eat.

Both are eating in silence. The place is all silent. Sneha is trying to focus on eating and enjoying the taste. But she can't. She's lost in thoughts. Both want to look at each other but can't and won't. It feels awkward. Very awkward!

Sneha is grabbing the last spoon from her plate and trying to look ahead. She ends up looking at Raj, and it so happens that their eyes meet! Unintentionally. In two seconds, Raj spills out the words he has been trying to hide for a long time.

Raj: Sneha, I love you. Will you marry me?

Sneha immediately gets her eyes back on the Masala Puri plate. She is all blank and speechless. This time silence is much more awkward. She's looking here and there, all over the table, trying to think of something. Completely clueless about how to respond. Anger is at its end, all ready to shoot up. But she can't express it, knowing she can't look stupid. But still, difficult to hold it up. A minute passes by. Still looking at the table, Sneha says, "What was the hurry? You should have said this after I got married to someone else. Anyways, dad is desperately looking for a suitable guy for me," and runs away.

She recalled the past, two years back. Sneha gets out of the car and pulls out the luggage. She is all tired and worn out after the long journey. Her hair is all messy, with a quarter of it stuck over her face here and there. Her eyes clearly said she couldn't sleep a wink last night. Pulling all the luggage to a bench nearby, she sits down.

Sneha: Mummy, I'm exhausted. Now I can't climb two floors with these four bags. You will stay through the whole marriage and events. I'm only for engagement and will get going for my exam, and I don't know what stuff you got to dump two full bags just for me.

Varu (Sneha Mom): If you were for the whole event, I would have stuffed five bags just for you.

Sneha gets up and pats her legs angrily on the floor.

Sneha: Varu... I don't know what you get in decorating and irritating me with all that stupid stuff.

Varu: Might be a son-in-law?

Sneha with a hot red face.

Sneha: I don't want a hubby who likes me when I look like any doll. Look at me. Now!

Varu: Ha, now what?

Sneha: He should like me for how I look right now, all messed up like this.

Varu: You get two bags; I will get two bags.

Right now, Sneha runs to the top of her room and bangs the door 'SHUT.' To the loud sound, everyone enjoying the pleasant wind in the garden came in, panicked.

Vinay (Uncle): Raj. How come you are here? When did you come? Just yesterday, we spoke, right? You didn't say you would be here.

Granny: Why is it that she bangs the door so hard? I understand she is angry.

Over the top of her room, Sneha sits on the floor, leaning against the same door she banged. Fingers reach to her lips to bite up her nails, trying to think something, process all that -that just happened. The brain is not working. The brain is just not working. Looks here and there to find some help. Finds her laptop. She wears up her headsets and waits for her co-operate best friends to pick up her call.

Sneha: Come on. Answer me. Now!

Rekha: Sneha, Hello!

Sneha: Rekha, hello hello! (With that tension heard)

Niki: What happened? Work tension? Say who is irritating you; let's gossip about that bitch.

Sneha: Brain is not working. I don't know what I just did and why I did so.

Niki: Hey, what happened? Anything serious?

Rekha: Can we help?

Sneha: Dear gods, I messed up everything. True, we girls just can't hide a secret. Neither with you guys nor with him.

Rekha: Ok, we have a lot of secrets shared. Which one are you talking about?

Sneha: Taking my secret photo. That guy. I said, mom too gave clues, that guy.

Rekha: Nikki, we got a lot of entertainment ahead.

Sneha: Idiots!!

Thanks for choosing this story. Please vote and comment as you like my works!