Chapter 3: King Theon

Začít od začátku

"Lead the way," I said, ready to go there. Rose had told mother and I that she was on kitchen duty for most days. If I was lucky enough, she would be there today and I could ask her about my mother. I feared that King Theon was serious when he considered starving her. I could not let that happen.

After a long walk down a series of brightly lit hallways, we stepped into a kitchen. Immediately, the delicious smell of apple cakes hit my nose. I wondered how many they had made today. Perhaps there was a celebration that I didn't know of?  I inhaled deeply once I stood in the middle of the room. Alexios looked around us, trying to locate someone.

"Rose," he called out. I snapped my head in the direction he was looking at. At the sound of her name, Rose looked in our direction. Her eyes widened when they landed on my face and she rushed to my side, wiping her hands on an apron and abandoning the food she was stirring by the fire. She threw her arms around me. I returned the embrace, feeling a single tear run down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away before anyone could see.

"Emilia." Rose kissed the top of my head. "You are all right."

Alexios stood to the side, watching our interaction. He had his arms crossed, which caused his muscles to protrude even more. He didn't interrupt us, but his foot was tapping lightly on the floor, giving away his impatience. 

I nodded. "I'm all right. Have you visited my mother yet? How is she?"

She hesitated, glancing in the direction of my personal guard. Her eyes widened when she saw him, possibly because he was such a big man. She must have been distracted by the sight of me to even notice him before. I looked in his direction just in time to see him shake his head. Rose nodded and turned back to me. This time she looked directly into my eyes.

"My Gods!" she gasped and covered her mouth with one hand. I frowned. She didn't answer my question.

"Rose?" I said, confused. Her eyes were wide. I took a step closer to her and grabbed her face gently in my hands. "What's wrong? Did something happen to my mother?"

"No, she is perfectly fine. A guard brought her lunch today without me, but I visited her after," she whispered and continued to stare into my eyes. "I will be bringing her dinner. I need to... speak with her." I exhaled in relief. She was all right. She was eating.

"Is something wrong with...me?" I asked. Mother had the same look of shock this noon when she looked at my face.

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with you," she said and shook her head. Her surprise must have worn off, because now she looked at me with seriousness. "Nothing."

"Then why did you have that look on your face?"

She swallowed. "I...I can't say. Let me speak to your mother first, yes?"

I hesitated. So there was something wrong with me. If she was unwilling to tell me anything, then I would have to wait. I nodded.

"Good," she sighed. "Now, why were you brought here — ?"

"She needs training," Alexios finally cut in, uncrossing his arms. "Servant duties. You have the most experience here, so you will train her. Teach her everything she needs to know."

Rose nodded. "Yes, y - sir. I will be happy to do so."

Alexios grunted, satisfied. "She's all yours." He walked out of the kitchen without another word.

"My Gods, finally." I rolled my eyes. "The brute is gone."

Rose gasped at my language, but then she started laughing. She shook her head, smiling. "Oh, child. You have a lot to learn."