"What?" I rubbed my head, standing up and picking up my sword.

    "Can you—" he grunted, cutting down another Angel— "stop pretending you're dead and help me out? Or I might actually die on you." He probably shouldn't have said that.

    "Alright, no need to get moody," I muttered.

    When I turned back to look at him a second later, he had disappeared from sight. By that I mean he was hunched over.

    "What happened?" I heard. A woman was pushing past everyone with a horde of bodyguards around her and was moving towards the little man.

    She crouched next to the boy and looked at a rather painful looking stab wound across his chest.

    She grabbed his arm, pulling him towards me.

    "Leviathan?" She raised her brows in question.

    "Yes?"

    "The commander summons you. Follow me."

    She led us to a protected tent at the rear of the battlegrounds and treated the other guy's wounds while we waited for the commander.

    "Leviathan and Hughes, the commander will see you now."

    A Demon led us into a small subsection of the tent where a man who looked no older than twenty seven was sat playing with a lighter.

    "Ah, Levi! How's your father?" the commander said, flipping the lighter shut.

    "Deathly. The old man is out there killing Angels as we speak."

    "Of course he is." He shook his head, indicating with his hand for us both to sit beside him on the floor. "I'd be surprised if he wasn't."

    "Of course."

    He turned to the small man next to me.

    "You must be... Raven Hughes?"

    He nodded his head.

    The commander flipped open the lighter again, the light glinting a bright reflection in his otherwise dark green eyes. He sighed and looked up at us again.

    "Let's get right to it then!"

    He proceeded to briefly explain the importance of keeping the following conversation to ourselves and slightly threatening us with the death sentence should we tell a living soul.

    "Well, that was boring. Now for the fun bit," he smiled, taking a drag at his cigarette. "I called you here to send you on a mission. Both of you, as well as that beautiful young lady you met outside and the person who walked you in here, have been reassigned from your current duties to do something much less threatening to your lives. You're going to retrieve the Mortal Armoury!"

    "The what?" Raven spoke for the first time since coming here.

    "Ah, sometimes I forget you're not a very social Human being. The Mortal Armoury is a series of weapons that we, as Demons, made for the Humans. They consist of an Axe, a Sword, a Scythe and a Bow. Ask Cyra about them while you're travelling, she knows more about them.

    "Both sides are... winning equally well, so to speak. To boost our chances of winning, we need you to find the Mortal Armoury. We don't know the exact power of the weapons but we do know that having them would give us an almost definite chance of winning.

    "You'll also be assigned to assassinate some specific nomad members of SHADE to help us further. You'll be given all the supplies you need at dawn, when you leave."

    SHADE stood for the Society of Higher Angels for Demon Eradication, and was exactly what the title described. The entire group consisted of mainly Angels and a few Nephilim and were solely there to get rid of Demons.

    We stood to leave the room, but as we headed towards the door, he interrupted us. Raven and I both turned around to see him flipping his lighter in his fingers again.

    "Oh, by the way, I might have lied about not risking your lives. In fact, we've sent several teams before you."

    "They all failed?" I asked.

    He gently placed the lighter on his desk and looked up at me, his eyes looking red in the candlelight.

    "They all died."

    On that happy note, we walked out to see the nurse and the lanky Demon from earlier.

    The Demon had a red cross under their left eye to indicate their species.

    All Angels and Demons are born with a mark somewhere on their body, the colour indicating species (red or black if you're a Demon and white or blue if you're an Angel) and the shape indicating the family you come from.

    I assumed the nurse was also a Demon although her mark wasn't visible.

    "Hello," the nurse outstretched her hand towards me, "I'm Cyra."

    I shook her hand.

    "Ashmedai Leviathan. I'm also known as Asmodeus. Are you a demon?"

    "Yeah." She stretched her hand out to Raven. He shook it quickly and took back his hand.

    "Raven Hughes."

    "Samael Cross. You can call me Sam." We each shook their hand and were led to our room for the night.