The Gap

Briar awoke in her bed at the hero mansion on Green's Hill. Her shoulder had been bandaged and Robyn was snoring in a chair beside her. She pushed herself up to a sitting position using her good arm. She had no idea how she had gotten there, but she knew what had happened. A newspaper was lying on the bed beside her. Briar picked it up, and read the title: Jewellery Heist - £2 million in diamonds stolen. Briar read further. None were injured save for two heroes who are now in recovery. She threw the paper onto Robyn's face, waking her up and making her fan the air as if there was a fly buzzing around her face. She groaned and stood up from the chair, and started walking out of the room. Briar coughed.
"Oh, so you're the one who chucked the paper on me," Robyn shook her head. "I was about to scream at Ivan if he threw something at me one more time." Her hands had balled into fists at this point, and she was glaring out the window. Then, in less than a moment, she composed herself and pointed to the newspaper.
"Can't believe we were actually there," she said. "We're never on the front page, even though we're heroes. It's refreshing, actually..."
"How did I get here?" Briar cut in. Robyn just stood there, watching her. Silence filled the room. "How did I get here?" She said. Robyn seemed to snap out of a trance and smiled.
"You and the rest of the injured heroes were taken to the hospital. You were fixed up and brought back here. Oddly, you didn't wake up until now, but, you're fine. You're awake now."
Robyn turned and walked out of the room, her ponytail swaying as she hurried down the hall. She had been acting off ever since Briar had woken, she seemed out of it and different. Briar would put it off as anger but she knew how Robyn acted when she's angry. Briar rubbed her hands over her face and sighed. She swung herself off the bed and snuck out of the room.
It was cold in the house, as if the front door had been left open all night. She hurried along the corridor, passing the doors of other heroes and the library and dining hall, until she found one left ajar with voices floating out of the gap. 

"What did you tell her?" One said. "What does she know?"
"She knows only what you told me to tell her." Robyn's voice rose from the room, and Briar found herself peering through the gap in the door. 

In the room there was a large desk, and behind it sat Johnathan, the man who ran the heroes house. His voice had been the first. 
"Is she suspicious of you?" He asked. Robyn was sat in an armchair facing him, but she said nothing, and just looked at a potted plant on Jonathan's desk. "I'm asking you a question, don't you dare ignore me." Robyn glared at him. Johnathan's temper snapped and he slammed his hands on the table and stood up from his chair. "I give you a home here, with food and a bed and warmth. All I ask is you'll keep something that none of us even know from your friend." Robyn shook her head and stood at eye level with Johnathan. 
"You know what, sir. I don't care. I'm not lying to my best friend. I don't give a damn. Go ahead, kick me out. I'll be gone by tonight anyway." She turned and stalked to the door but a hand caught her wrist. It was Ivan.
"Please, don't go." He said. Robyn smiled at him, and stroked his head. He was only ten but when he ran at her for a hug, he almost knocked her over. "You're like a big sister to me."
"You could come," Robyn said.
Johnathan cut in. "Oh no he couldn't. I'm not loosing another." A glare from Robyn silenced him, and he seemed surprised at himself for even being remotely afraid. 
"Yes!" Ivan shouted. "Yes, I'll come!" He grinned and hugged her again. 
"So, you need to pack a bag you can carry and meet me in the hall in a half hour. Can you do that?" Ivan nodded and grinned, and rushed out of the door so fast he didn't even notice Briar crouched there. Robyn walked out of the door too, and Johnathan didn't even bother to say anything. Briar got up and stood by the door as Robyn came out. But instead of being shaken and confused, Robyn just looked at her friend and said, "Half hour in the hall. If you want to come." Then she left, off to her room to pack. Briar smiled and turned back to her quarters, and packed a bag with barely anything except clothes and knock-out gun. When she got to the hall, Ivan and Robyn were there, ready by the door. Briar plucked her coat from the coat-rack and carefully put it on, cautious not to tear the stitches under her bandage. She smiled at the two already out of the house.
"Let's go."

Heroes and VillainsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara