chapter twenty-nine

The library was relatively empty. I sat, in a dim lantern-lit corner with nothing but a book and my own thoughts to keep me occupied. I couldn't bring myself to go back to the Gryffindor Common Room. I had hurried myself away to the library as soon as McGonagall had shut the door on us, without so much of a look at Harry - or anyone for that matter. I had no idea how long I had been here but, as I watched through the aged window panes, I could see blue fade into black and the grassy terrain sink into the night sky. I had skipped dinner and my stomach was growling at me, eager for something to ease my hunger. The orange glow of the firelight made my eyelids start to droop. My hand was beginning to slip underneath my chin, as tiredness came over me like a gust of wind.

I felt awful.

Words couldn't explain how shameful and embarrassed I felt.

Merlin know what everybody is thinking right now. I don't even know what happened to the others. Did they get caught? Or did they manage to escape? Either way, Fudge has the list of all our names and we will undoubtedly be facing some sort of punishment. I couldn't bare to think about what it could be. Harry must hate me. Even I hate me. I gave away the one thing I had to keep a secret.

I glance around the room, desperately trying to keep myself awake. The desks that had been populated by stressing students half an hour ago were almost completely deserted now: only a few late-night stragglers stayed behind. I yawn, loudly, my hair falling in front of my face. My vision was blurred with the efforts of trying to keep my eyes open. I couldn't go back to the Common Room. I don't think I could face the shame of it. But I couldn't stay here all night, could I?

I didn't have time to ponder for a second more; my hand, which had been propping up my head, slipped. My head fell forward onto the pages of my open book and, not having the energy to pull myself back up, I close my drooping eyelids and let sleep take me into it's arms.

~

"Olivia. Hey, wake up!" A hushed voice said, next to my ear. The person was shaking me awake. My eyes open gently, blinking away the sleep from my eyes. My cheek was stuck to the pages of my book and so peeled it off agonisingly slowly, wincing as it got caught on the bulging acne that had appeared on my face. I sit upright in my chair, brushing strands of my dark hair away from my face. As my consciousness returned, I became more aware of my surroundings: I was still in the library and it was still pitch black outside. What time was it?

"Olivia?" The voice says again. I turn my head and see Draco crouched down beside me, his hand on my shoulder, gently shaking me awake. My eyes meet his. I see them trace over the word SNEAK that covered my cheeks and nose, but he doesn't point it out, or even grimace for that matter.

"Hey sleepy head," He whispers softly, leaning forward and giving me a kiss on the forehead, "Tired are we? You fell asleep in the library." he chuckles, running his fingers through the hair on the sides of my head.

"What are you doing here so late?" I ask in a thick sleepy voice, taking a look at the black sky through the window. He looks down at his watch, his eyebrows furrowed.

"It's only... half nine, darling," He says, with a smile, as he takes my hand into his own, tracing his thumb over my knuckles, lovingly.

"What?" I announce, grabbing his wrist and glancing down at the small, golden clock face. Sure enough, it was only half past nine, like he said. I lean back in my chair, stretching my legs out underneath the desk. "Ugh, it feels like I've been here for years."

"Have you been here all evening?" He says, his voice laced with concern. He brings his hand up to my cheek, examining the curse on my face. I nod, meeting into the comforting feeling of his cool hands on my scorching cheek. "You poor thing," he whispers, pulling my face closer to his, by his chin and pressing a small kiss to my lips.