chapter thirty-eight

My insides plummeted sickeningly as black shapes began emerging out of thin air around us. They blocked our way in every direction, so there was no possible way of escape. A dozen lit wand tips were directed straight at our hearts. We were trapped. Outnumbered. My stomach gave an uneasy turn.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry says, drawing his own wand and pointing it to Malfoy. Several of the Death Eaters laughed menacingly. He was ignored. Malfoy was still staring at the glass ball in my hands, his wand pointed at my head. He extends his free arm and holds out his hand, palm facing the black ceiling.

"Give me," He says, enunciating each word carefully, "That prophecy, Potter." This time, it was my turn to ignore him.

"You heard him," I say, jerking my head sideways at Harry, "We want to know where Sirius is."

"We want to know where Sirius is," A female voice mimicked, from beside him. My stomach bubbled with anger but I didn't dare draw my wand away from Malfoy to get a better look at the woman.

"You've got him," I say, plainly, trying to ignore the rising panic in my chest as the group of Death Eaters edged nearer and nearer to us, until they were mere feet away, the light of their wands almost blinding me. "Here here. We know he is."

Malfoy gave an evil smirk. In this moment the resemblance between him and his son, the boy that I knew so well, the boy that I loved, was uncanny. I hated it. "You know, you really should learn how to tell the difference between dreams... and reality, Potter," He speaks, inching his wand further towards me so that it was now millimetres away from my forehead. "Now, give me that prophecy... or we'll start using wands."

"Go on then," I say, daringly, raising my own wand slightly higher. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the six other wands around me rise, in earnest. The knot inside my stomach tightened painfully. If Sirius really wasn't here, then... we had just led our friends to their deaths for no reason at all. The Death Eaters did not strike.

"Hand over the prophecy and no one needs to get hurt," Malfoy says cooly, but I can tell he was itching with rage inside.

It was my turn to laugh, "Yeah right!" I say, "I give you this- prophecy, is it? And you'll just let us skip of home will you?" The words had barely left my lips when the female voice shrieked.

"Accio prophecy!"

But I had been too prepared for somebody to strike. "Protego!" I yell before she got the chance to finish her spell and, though the glass ball slipped slightly on my fingertips, I managed to keep a safe, firm hold on it.

"Oh she knows how to play!" She laughs, stepping forward, "Itty bitty baby Potter." As she steps forward into the wand light, she pulls down her hood. I was met with the face of Bellatrix Lestrange, her face hollowed from her time in Azkaban, yet still alive with a feverish glow. My stomach does an odd squirm, it suddenly hitting me that we were in real trouble now. I look down at the prophecy, they called it, in my hand. I had no interest in it, and the Death Eaters wanted it more than anything. I just wanted to get us all out of here without any of us having to pay the price for my stupidity.

"What's so special about this 'prophecy' anyway?" Harry speaks up, holding his wand next to mine, pointed at Malfoy.

"You mean the amazing Dumbledore never told you the reason you bear those scars was hidden in the bowels of the Department of Mysteries?" Malfoy sneered, mockingly. My fingertips were white with the amount of strength I was clutching my wand with.