chapter two

The hall was dimly lit with lanterns on the peeling, grimy wallpaper. As I stepped into the threshold, the smell of dust and dampness filled my nostrils. A crystal chandelier hung, what would be extravagantly, if it wasn't for the thick layer of dust and cobwebs that had nestled itself there. The long gloomy walls were covered in crooked hanging portraits and I couldn't help but feel I was in a scene from a horror movie. I step forward slowly, giving off a small creak from the floorboards beneath the threadbare carpet. I jump slightly at the sudden noise, and snap my head around to talk to Dumbledore. But he was gone. I was looking around frantically, alone in an unknown place, when I heard hurried footsteps coming from somewhere ahead of me. I saw the frame of Mrs Weasley walking down the hall, towards me, followed by a small crowd of people. She hurries over to me and embraces me in a bone-crushing hug, before pulling away and patting my cheek gently.

"Olivia, dear, it's so good to see you! How are you?" She says, happily, a broad smile stretched across her face. Before I could even answer she places both hands on my shoulders and examines me intently. "You're looking a bit peaky, but I'm afraid dinner will have to wait a little longer."

"Oh that's all right," I say, smiling, suddenly realising the great sense of hunger in the pit of my stomach.

"Harry's just arrived, not five minutes before you did," she says, stepping aside and giving me a full view of him standing there, his eyes and his scar, still identical to mine. He's grown a lot, too, now just under a head taller than I am. He looks skinnier than I've ever seen him, but I don't bring it up. He has dark circles under his eyes but wears a bright smile. I fling my arms around him and embrace him in the tightest hug I could muster. He staggers back a little bit but then hugs me back, just as tightly. We hold each other for a few seconds, before pulling away, but gripping the others arm.

"Why didn't you write?" We both say, in unison, with the same tone of hurt in our voices. I frown.

"I did!" We both say, once again, letting go of his arm. What? I wrote to him every week! He was the one not writing! I've been stuck in that castle alone, with nobody to talk to, all summer!

"What do you mean?" I say, outraged, "I wrote you every week!"

"So did I! But I never got any letters! Not one! From anybody!" Harry says, his eyebrows knotted together with anger.

"Well- neither have I..." I say in a small voice, looking down. I wrote him a letter every week, sometimes even more, why hadn't he got them? Just then there was muffled footsteps, once again, coming from ahead and I see two men standing there: one with shabby robes, darned in places, with light brown hair, flecked with grey and silver-pink scars slashed across his face, like snakes. From what he looks like, I guessed this was Remus Lupin. Harry told me about him. He said he was a teacher in their third year and was a close friends of our parents, who also happened to be a werewolf, explaining his scars. The other had shoulder-length black hair with soft, grey eyes and a mischievous smirk. I knew who he was. Sirius. They were both staring at me with intent awe. I smile awkwardly at them.

"You were right Sirius, just like Lily," Remus whispers you to the man next to him, who was beaming widely and proudly. The pair take a small step forward.

"You wouldn't know who we are-"

"You're Sirius, Harry's godfather? And Remus, right? You were friends of our parents, Harry told me..." I say, breathlessly. I didn't talk about my parents much, and neither did Harry. I don't know why, I guessed the subject is sensitive, especially after what happened in the maze, before summer. They both nod, smiling weakly.

"You probably wouldn't know, but when you were born, your parents appointed me as your godfather," Remus says, scratching the back of his neck, awkwardly.