chapter twenty-one

The Christmas spirit died down significantly during the days leading up to the start of school again. Sirius' cheerfulness seemed to have completely evaporated now that Christmas was over. Myself on the other hand, my spirits had never been higher. I was excited to go back to school, plainly because of the fact I would bee seeing Draco again. We've been writing to each other pretty much everyday and we've decided that it would be better off for the both of us to keep our relationship a secret. Who know how Harry would react and, I didn't mention it, but I just knew that if Draco's family found out, all hell would break loose. I think people just assumed my good mood was due to it being around Christmas so, luckily for me, they didn't question it. The holidays were going great until on the last day, when something happened that would make me dread going back to school with a passion.

"Harry and Olivia, my dear," Mrs Weasley says, poking her head around the door of Harry and Ron's bedroom, where the two were playing wizard's chess, watched closely by Ginny, Hermione and myself. My head snaps up. "Professor Snape is in the kitchen, he'd like to see you both." My eyebrows crease in disbelief. Snape? What the bloody hell does Snape want with us?

"Squash him. Squash him. He's only a pawn you idiot." Harry urges to the tiny pieces on the chess board. As I stand up, I clip him on the back of his head with my hand. "Ouch! Sorry Mrs Weasley what did you say?"

"Professor Snape," She says, with a smile, "In the kitchen, he's like a word." Harry looks around the room in perplexity. His eyebrows are furrowed heavily and his face was morphed into one of deep confusion.

"Snape?" He says blankly.

"Professor Snape, dear," She says reprovingly. "Quickly now, he says he can't stay long." She holds the door open slightly wider as Harry and I get to our feet, giving Ron and Hermione one last look of confusion before exiting the room. We climb our way down the stairs profound feelings of uncertainty taking over my brain like a wildfire. We hadn't done anything wrong had we? Snape has never asked to see the both of us alone before.

When we reach the kitchen, I push open the heavy door and let Harry in after me. When we enter I see Snape and Sirius sat at the kitchen table glaring in the opposite direction of one another, hanging over them was a thick silence of mutual hatred. There was a letter splayed open on the table in front of Sirius. They didn't notice for one second that Harry and I had entered the room. I had to clear my throat to announce our presence.

Snape looked around at us, his face was framed in the usual curtains of greasy, black hair. "Sit down Potter." He says.

"You know," Sirius says, leaning back in his chair and staring at the ceiling with his hands behind his head, "This is my house and I'd prefer it if you didn't give the orders around here, Snape."

An ugly expression drew across Snape's pallid face as he gave Sirius a look of pure disgust. Harry and I took this as an opportunity to not spark any arguments and just sit down. We took a seat at the table on each side of Sirius and facing Snape across the table.

"Well Potter," Snape began, the usual strange curl in his thin lips, "I was supposed to see you alone, but Black-"

"I'm Harry's godfather," Sirius says louder than ever, grabbing onto Harry's arm, "And quite frankly I have the right to be here."

"I am here on Dumbledore's orders," Snaps says. Though he was ignoring Sirius' comments, but I could tell his voice was getting filled with more annoyance every second. "But by all means stay, Black, I know you like to feel... involved."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sirius says, standing up so abruptly his chair clatters down onto the floor, making me jump.

"Well I expect your pathological need to interfere is down to the fact that you can you can prove yourself not to be of any use within the Order, at the moment." Snape says, curtly, laying delicate stress to these words. Sirius grabbed his chair and stood it up rather aggressively, slumping back down into it. Snape's lip curled up in triumph, as he turns to Harry and I.