𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 5 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐋𝐄𝐀 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐁𝐀𝐓

"only the young can run

"only the young can run."

─────────

"El, Nina," Mike's voice woke them up.

After the little fiasco at school, it drained Eleven and Nine's batteries, making them super tired.

The next day was Will's funeral. They knew the truth, that Will was alive, so it would be weird for the boys to attend when they know the truth.

"What was Will saying?" Mike asked aloud. "Like home... Like home... but dark?"

"And empty," Lucas added.

"Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?" Dustin asked as Nina lightly nodded.

"I don't know," Lucas sighed. "The stupid radio kept going in and out."

"It's like riddles in the dark," Dustin sighed.

"Like home," Mike repeated again. "Like his house?"

"Or maybe like Hawkins," Lucas suggested.

"Upside down," El said with a scratchy voice.

"What'd she say?" Lucas asked.

"Upside down," Mike repeated.
"What?"

"Upside down," Mike said again, walking over to the D&D table. "When El and Nina showed us where Will was, they flipped the board over, remember? Upside down. Dark. Empty."

"Do you understand what he's talking about?" Lucas asked his friend.

"No," Dustin blatantly said.

"Guys, come on, just think about it," Mike said. "When El and Nina took us to find Will, they took us to his house, right?"

"Yeah. And he wasn't there."

"But what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side?" Mike flipped the board over two more times as he continued talking. "What if this is Hawkins and... this is where Will is. The Upside Down."

"Like the Vale of Shadows," Dustin realized.

Dustin grabbed Mike's D&D manual, flipping to the page that described the Vale of Shadows.

"'The Vale of Shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world.'," Dustin read. "'It is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase. A place of monsters. It is right next to you, and you don't even see it.'"