𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 10 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃

"but i told you, even then you looked so pretty in a hospital bed

"but i told you, even then you looked so pretty in a hospital bed. i remember you said you were scared and so was i."

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

"It's been less than 48 hours since a 7.4 magnitude earthquake rocked the quaint town of Hawkins, 80 miles outside of Indianapolis, in an event that seismologists are calling, 'a natural disaster of near-unprecedented scale.'," the reporter on TV said. "The death toll now stands at 22. But with hundreds more filling Roane County hospitals, and many more still missing, officials expect those number to rise."

Lucas went to the hospital everyday since what happened. He's been grabbing things that he knew were her favorite of his. Today, he grabbed her favorite stuffed animal that he gave her a couple of months ago and grabbed one of Nina's favorite books.

"This is only the latest tragedy to befall this once-safe town. Most recently, a string of high school students were killed in a series of ritualistic murders, which have been linked to a local satanic cult known as 'Hellfire.' Eddie Munson, the leader of this cult and prime suspect in the murders, has been missing since the earthquake and is presumed dead. But this offers little comfort to the people of Hawkins, who are scared, angry, and searching for answers. Why their town? What have they done to deserve so much suffering? a growing chorus believes the two recent tragedies are linked—"

Lucas turned the TV off, sighing deeply. He called Erica on the phone from his house, waiting for her to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey. It's me. No news yet?"

"Nope. She's still in her coma. I'm sorry."

Lucas let a few tears escape. "It's okay. I'll be there soon."

"Okay. Seen you soon. Love you."

"Love you too, Erica."

-

"He opened his eyes, and further words died in his throat," Lucas read. "He forgot about the need to sick up that horrible parody of wine. He forgot about his mother, and Uncle Morgan, and his father, and almost everything else. Speedy was gone. The graceful arcs of the roller coaster against the sky were gone. He could feel the hair stirring on the nape of his neck. Could feel a goofed-up grin pulling at the corners of his mouth. 'Speedy! I'm here, my God! I'm here in the territories!'"

He looked at the almost lifeless body of Nine Hopper. He felt tears itching to come out but ignored that feeling as the door to the hospital room was opened. He saw Mike and Will come in.