𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 1 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐔𝐁

"all the leaves are brown and the sky is gray

"all the leaves are brown and the sky is gray."

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

Dear Lucas,

It's been 185 days. It feels more like ten years. Joyce said that time is funny like that. Emotions can make it speed up or slow down. We are all time travelers if you really think about it. For example, this week is going by very fast. I think it's because I'm so busy. Will, El, and me have to make something called a visual aid. El is panicking about it, but I know Mrs. Gracey will give her an A.

Some exciting news. Joyce got an amazing new job. She gets to work at home. She says she loves the 'freedom.'

Will is painting a lot, but he... he won't show me or El what he's working on. Maybe it's for someone he likes. I think there might be someone he likes because he has been acting weird.

El has been writing to Mike every single day. We still share a room, but I recently got a new mattress and El got my old one. I've slowly started to redecorate my side of the room, but it takes time.

Jonathan is acting weird also. I think he just might be nervous about college. He's still waiting for his big letter. I hope he and Nancy get to go together. But I don't know how he'll ever get to college because his car is still broken. His friend Argyle has been taking us to school everyday. His hair is longer than mine. He and Jonathan like to smoke smelly plants together. Jonathan says the plants are super safe because they come from the earth, but to not tell Joyce, no matter what.

Me? I am so happy now. You were right. It just takes time. I think that I've finally adapted. At first, I missed all the spring flowers, but now I find it pretty here too. I even like school now. I'm still the best at math, but my grammar is also getting better now. It helps that everyone is so nice here. Me and El have made lots of friends.

Even so, I am ready for spring break, mostly because I get to see you. I can't wait for you to come back to Lenora. I am so excited to see you, it is hard to breathe. Are you excited too? I think you will love it here like me. I think we will have the best spring break ever.

I hope my spelling was better this time.
Miss you.
Love,
   Nina

Nina sat in her room putting pictures on her visual aid for final touches. El was behind her in their shared room, finishing painting a fake Hopper, their dad. Joyce was on the phone for her job in the living room and Will was painting. Jonathan was... smoking pot. Something he picked up when he came to Lenora.

There was a honk outside, which startled Nina. She decided her poster was good enough, hearing the honks still, and grabbed her bag. They all went outside, going to Argyle's van. Will opened the door for everyone, while Argyle smiled at them.