Cat Chapter 10

Tac was nervous - it had been months since he drove a bike. And the last time he did he was high and wasn't conscious of the dangers of the road. But he made it the address Bruce gave him unscathed. He took a lap around the old gym, taking in the exits and how many windows it had before heading inside. The place was devoid of other people which was a red flag for evening hours of a public gym. Tac stopped and took one step back. As soon as he turned to leave the lights went out and he bolted.

Just as he got to the door an arm came around his neck and he used the moved Bruce taught him to get out of the choke hold. His would be attacker tried to grab him again and he ducked under his arm and jabbed his fingers under his last rib. It bought him a second but the person was quick. Tac barely saw his leg move but it sent him sprawling on the floor. He swung and kicked in the dark but he didn't hit anything. He scrambled to his feet. He had his hand on the door when he was grabbed again. He brought his legs up and pushed against the door sending them both back to the ground.

"Okay, okay." The guy said. Tac froze when the lights came back on. He stared at the man, despite their little fight he was smiling. It nearly blinded Tac. He had an eye patch but his other eye was blue. He was older but just about the same size as Terry. "Bruce told me you were a scrapper but you need training. He was right. And if you ever tell him I said that I'll deny it."

"What's happening?" Tac asked. He was shaking, still on edge from the strange introduction.

"The first day of your training." He held out his hand. "I'm Dick Grayson."

———

Terry yawned as he made his way up from the cave. He had showered but he thought he still smelled like the sewer - could still feel little rat feet on him. "Ew." He shuddered. The ordeal had been taxing but Dana was safe - back home under her father's watchful care. He didn't like the accusatory glare Mr. Tan had given him when he saw Dana. He knew what was rolling around in the man's head when he returned Dana with torn dirty clothes. The thought of forcing himself on anyone made him sick. Surely he would see that Terry wasn't muddy or covered in scratches but he didn't. Mr. Tan voiced his suspicions, grabbing Terry's arm and shaking him like a rag doll as he screamed about pressing charges. Dana defused him and he thankfully turned his attention to her and Terry left after promising to check on her in a few days.

Dana had hugged him and kissed him when he showed up at the ambulance to take her home. She had been through so much he didn't have the heart to remind her they had broken up and that he was only there as a friend. He distracted himself by closing up the mansion for the night. Bruce had fallen asleep in his armchair again and Terry helped him to his bed. He found Ace already eating his dinner in the kitchen, he assumed Tac fed him. He headed upstairs and stepped in Tac's room just as he was pulling on his pajama pants. "Hey."

"Oh you're back. Did you find her?" Tac asked.

"Yeah, she's shaken up but fine." He answered. "Sorry I snapped earlier. When she went missing Mr. Tan assumed I had something to do with it and it got me in my own head. And the thought of doing anything like that to anyone I just—"

"I get it." Tac cut him off when he saw Terry was starting to spiral. "Don't make a habit of yelling at me." He warned as he wagged a finger at him. Terry nodded. "Is Bruce asleep?"

"Yeah." He answered. Tac smiled and patted the bed next to him. Terry wasn't expecting the invitation but he immediately moved to sit down. It felt like the most natural thing in the world to lean in and kiss Tac. Like they had been dating for years instead of just a few weeks. Although 'date' was a very loose term - most of their quality time together was spent training or patrolling. Talking about random things before their night was interrupted by a crime.