Chapter 27

It had taken a few days but Rory was beginning to feel herself again, albeit in pain and lonely. She was finally up and able to shower, a struggle she didn’t feel all too comfortable with Happy seeing. The day after she awoke Rory sent him back to Charming knowing that she couldn’t deal with his constant supervision and quiet creepy stare, besides after seeing Clay once or twice she knew he’d be angry. Bracing herself on the wall, she slowly moved from the bathroom to her bed again feeling monumentally better. She wanted to be clean for when he came back to visit, it was a big day.

Sitting back, she listened to her stomach grumble and wished Happy would hurry up. He was promising breakfast but she didn’t know how much longer she could actually wait.

“Hey.” She was startled awake by Happy arriving loudly. “Sorry, I’m late.”

Rory smiled; excited to see him and to see he had remembered to bring food. “It’s okay, I was just wishing you harm but you’re here now so feed me.” He pulled the box of donuts out of the bag and presented them to her proudly. “I hope you brought more.” She took the box from him. “Cause this looks to be enough for me.”

“I got something you can snack on.” He grabbed his crotch before taking the box back and handing her one doughnut.

Ignoring his crude comment she began to eat, not holding back because he was there, she didn’t care and she knew Happy didn’t either. “These are so good. Fresh?” He nodded and smiled. “I love you,” she ventured and reading his anxiety as anger added, “For the doughnuts.”

“We doing it today?” He said to change the subject.

“Yeah, we are. I just want to get it done.”

Happy opened his mouth to speak but quickly shut it again as the doctor came in. “Morning, Rory.” He beamed and handed her a cup from Starbucks. Watching with suspicion Happy growled inwardly as how chummy they seemed to be.

“Good Morning, Dr. Goldstein.” She gratefully took the cup. “Half-caf?”

“You’re lucky I’m giving you this.” He said, completely ignoring Happy.

Rory kicked Happy’s arm. “He’s been kind enough to bring me coffee, isn’t that great? Shit here is like mud.”

“It’s not a big deal; I bring my assistant coffee too.” He put his hands up defensively as Happy narrowed his eyes.

“Bring coffee for all your patients?” The doctor didn’t reply, just nodded at both Rory and Happy before seeing himself out of the room.

“Why did you have to go all scary on him?”

“Why’s that asshole bringing you coffee?”

“I don’t want to fight.” She put the cup down on the side table, no longer interested in it. Rory was not a fool and she knew the doctor was being overly kind for a reason but she wasn’t going to turn down coffee and he knew about Happy. She didn’t think she was doing anything wrong, it was innocent.

“When do you get out?”

“Tomorrow.”

“Good.”

Sighing she finished the last of her breakfast, suddenly feeling nauseous, and closed her eyes. “Just wake me up when they get here.”

--

Happy did better than wake her up when they got there; he woke her before they even got to her floor. She was ready when Johnny and Jeffrey walked into her room, she glared at them but they looked at her with love in their eyes. Happy sat beside her, although tension was still between them, as they lingered by the end of her bed.

“Thank fuck you’re alright.” Johnny said, wiggling her toes with his fingers. “We were so scared.”

“You put me here.” She said with her face twisted in confusion. “How can you say you were scared when you did this? Honestly, that just confuses the shit out of me.”

“I didn’t want this to happen.” Johnny said defensively.

“We didn’t think anything like this would ever go down.” Jeffrey added.

“But you didn’t tell me shit. If I knew who he was I would never have done that!” Rory shouted and instantly began to cough. Fearfully, Happy grabbed her oxygen and helped calm her as she tried to steady her breathing.

Johnny turned away in disgust but Jeffrey watched the way Happy, a stone cold killer, touched her with such gentleness. “Cops found him.” He said as she finally looked away from Happy and back to Jeffrey.

“I heard.” She said her voice now horse, she smiled and took Happy's hand. “Crazy shit, huh?”

“There’s a reason you brought us here and he didn’t kill us.” Johnny said, clearly angry.

“Yet.” Happy growled.

“I just wanted to tell you, again, this is done. I’m done. You said you didn’t think you really knew me, shit I didn’t know you either. You can’t tell me you care for me, not the way Happy does, if you were willing to put in such a spot without full knowledge of whom I was fucking with.”

“You’re leaving us for him?” Jeffrey was tortured by her decision and his part in it.

“No. I’m leaving you for my own personal safety. If you come near me or Hap, it will end just the way it did with Eric but I won’t feel nearly as remorseful. Now get out.”

Jeffrey did as she said but Johnny stood still for a moment, his eyes locked on hers. “Your parents would be disgusted by you.” He uttered the words harshly before finally leaving the room.

“Fuck him.” She spat, incredibly hurt by his words.

“I can still kill em’.”

“No.” She chuckled. “They’ll be more miserable knowing we’re together.” Looking up from her hands, she smiled sadly. “We are, right? This is more than just fucking, eating and dead bodies?”

Happy nodded, unsure of what words to use so instead of speaking he grabbed her face and kissed her hard. That was part of it though, his lack of communication, it was starting to wear on her. Rory didn’t deny his affections though; she kissed him back with fervor hoping in time he’d open up. She didn’t want him to change who he was but she needed more than grunts and sexual satisfaction.