Chapter 19

Rory swore she could actually see his skin growing pale but knew it was simply in her mind. She crouched beside Eric's dead body, only wrapped up in a sheet, and began to cry. Not fully understanding why she'd care, Happy pulled on a pair of boxers and forced her to sit on the bed.

"You don't have to help." He murmured, awkwardly putting an arm around her. He didn't know why but he'd seen the others do it before. "I can call Tig or Kozik."

The reality and practicality dawned on her and she shook her head. "No. We have to call the cops."

"You're fucking nuts." He said harshly.

"Johnny and Jeffrey, they'll look and they won't stop. They deserve to know and Eric deserves a proper burial. Tell them I did it, that he's been stalking me. It's not a lie, not completely." She reached over for his phone and began to dial.

"You'll say you shot him?" He stopped her. "I don't like it."

Rory shrugged. "If it's official record that you did it those two will lose their minds, Hap. It has to be me, it's the only way they don't go hard at you and your friends."

Releasing her hand and allowing her to dial, Happy started to feel bad for her and grateful for what she was doing, new feelings for him. It was better to have this kill on the books. One less body to bury and murder to later be charged for. It was self defense and the honesty would buy them some goodwill with the cops. She ended the call, placed his phone back and dropped the sheet, pulling on one of his undershirts and a pair of boxers.

"I'm not scared of them, the other two, they wanna come at me they can."

She rolled her eyes and nodded before sitting beside Eric's body. "You should go wait by the door to let them in." Really, Rory just wanted time with Eric.

Happy dressed then moved loudly down the steps, calling Clay as he did, and Rory began to sob. Although she hated the man he had suddenly become she mourned the loss of a childhood friend and ex lover. If Emmett hadn't been killed they'd all be living their lives, she and Happy separately but at least Eric would still be breathing.

"I'm sorry." She kissed his cheek as the police arrived and although she was hardly properly dressed, Rory didn't bother covering up. She just sat and waited completely heartbroken and confused.

--

"I'd rather bring you both down to the station." Unser explained, trying to keep everything above board and out in the open.

"That's fine." She didn't mind getting out of that house, especially the bedroom. "Mind if I change?"

Unser shook his head and closed the door behind him. He turned, face to face with Happy. "You call Clay?"

"I did."

"She really shoot him?"

Happy hesitated before nodding, Unser knew he was lying but he didn't care. It looked open and shut and if there was a reason this girl was taking the blame Unser knew there was a good one and he knew he didn't want to be clued in.

"You gotta bring us in?" He asked, not wanting Rory to have to go through the trouble.

"I do," Unser leaned close, "Looks better too."

--

"You knew Eric Kane?" Hale asked as he handed her a cup of coffee.

Nodding, she sipped her drink. "We grew up together, worked together, dated for a while. He kind of lost his shit when I left the gig and started hooking up with Happy."

"Can't say I blame him." Hale joked.

Rory's jaw jutted out as she looked at him, shocked by his remark. "I want to talk to Unser. Just because I stopped working recovery does not give him the right to stalk me."

"I'm sorry." He put his hands up. "Unser's talking to Happy, I'm sure he's really grilling him." That was the point, he was far from grilling Happy. If Hale had been the one to take his statement it would have ended terribly. Happy was the least patient and would have hauled off on Hale in record time. "So just walk me through what happened."

Dropping her head in her hands Rory sighed. "I was in bed with Hap, we were having sex and I looked up, behind him, and saw someone. I didn't know who it was at first but I freaked and grabbed the gun."

"And after you grabbed the gun? I need details, can't just assume."

"I shot him."

"You two always have a gun on the nightstand? Just sitting there?"

"No." She said slowly. "We kind of undressed in a hurry, he just put it down before we started."

There wasn't much to say. That was what happened, basically, it was quick and over before she even knew what happened. Hale asked a few more questions before standing. "Alright, I'll get this typed up real quick and once you sign it, you two can go."

--

Scrawling her name sloppily Rory handed Unser back the pen with a yawn. He stepped out to have Happy do the same in the room opposite Rory's. He allowed them to leave, hours after they'd arrived, but stopped her just short of the hall.

"I can offer you a lift to your place."

She looked down the hall to see Happy waiting patiently, Tig and Chibs out front with his bike to escort him back. Feeling far from sociable, Rory nodded. "Yeah, that would be great."

"Come on then."

The walked down the hall and Happy greeted her with a small smile. Rory shook her head as Unser stepped out front. "I'm going home. I'm tired and I need to talk to Johnny and Jeffrey. The Chief said he wouldn't notify them so I could do it."

"I'm going with you."

"No." She frowned, hating having to do any of this. "It's fine. I need to go and talk with them, help with arrangements and shit. It'll probably be a few days."

"I'm sorry?" It was definitely more of a question than an actual apology.

Rory nodded. "Yeah, me too." Pressing a kiss to his cheek she went out to where Unser was waiting.