Chapter 8

"Come here." Happy extended his hand to her, the movement was less threatening than she'd expected but Rory remained back against the dumpster.

"What are you going to do?" Her chin trembled. "Please don't kill me. I didn't want the job; I tried to talk them out of it."

Reaching forward he grabbed her ponytail as she cowered away from him. Happy yanked her hair and she stood, slowly limping back behind the hotel. As they walked, she wondered if this was how Emmett felt before he died. She was sure he wasn't scared; he'd always been the brave one. Her stomach churned, bile crawling up her throat with every labored step.

"Please," she whispered. "I'll do anything. At least listen to your voicemail, I swear, this isn't what it looks like, Hap."

"Get on your knees."

She stifled a pained moan, trying to summon some of her twin's strength but Rory failed miserably. Doing as she was told, albeit slowly, she screwed her eyes shut.There was an uncomfortable prickling feeling in his chest as she looked at him, sobbing, begging for her life. Why wasn't she already dead? Did he actually believe her? Happy wasn't sure. Giving in, he pulled his phone from his jeans. He listened to the message once, then again while replaying her actions with him. She was smarter than this; he saw that first hand when they went after Lin's guy and the girlfriend.

"You really wanted to help?"

Rory turned her eyes up and looked at him, nodding slightly. "I did."

"Why?"

"Well, at first I just felt bad. You all were so nice to me and," Rory didn't finish that thought. She sniffled a little seeing Happy relaxing his shoulders just as he had done after he'd shot her brother's murderer. "Even if I hated you all, I knew it would end up like this."

Ignoring her explanation, he called the prospect and only moments later, the skinny blond jogged around the far end of the motel building. He sneered at her and listened carefully as Happy gave him instructions as to just how they were getting Tig back.

--

Rory felt the cold steel of Happy's gun pressed against her back as she raised her hand to knock on the door. Jeffrey's voice was strong; she could hear him as they undoubtedly armed up and took their spots. In her head, she only saw this going one way and knowing her guys and happy, it would definitely end bloody. "Ror?" He asked cautiously.

"It's me." She said trying to sound cheerful.

"Where the hell you been, girl?" Before the door was even halfway open, Happy slammed his boot into the wood and sent Jeffrey crashing back. He pushed into the room, gun now pressed to Rory's temple.

"I was wondering what the hell was taking so long." Tig remarked as he tried standing even with his ankles bound. "Can one of you jerk-offs cut me loose here?"

"Let her go." Eric growled, unfazed by Tig's comments. "Even trade, we'll give you him for her."

Happy smiled and shook his head. "I want her too." Jabbing the gun harder into her skin Happy prompted her to speak.

"Do it, guys." She said, defeat in her voice. "You can pick me up after they get out of here with him. Said they'll leave me somewhere where I can call you."

"No way," Johnny said. Everyone in the room knew Rory would be dead if they ever found her.

"What are you gonna do?" Happy asked, hearing the flatbed pull into the motel lot. Cocking his pistol, he looked at Eric, his concern so clear on his face and gestured to Tig. "Yeah, nothing, now untie him."

"Please." Rory whispered, guilt flooding her as she took in the enormity of what she had done. "Just do it."

Using his weathered hunting knife Jeffrey picked himself up and sliced through the cable ties. "If you hurt her, I'll kill you myself."

"Touching," Tig joked. Hurting, the gash in his leg still bleeding, he limped over and out the door to the waiting flatbed. Jax and Half-Sack already had their guns drawn, Chibs between them with a shotgun. There was no getting out of the parking lot with only three Sons, one of which was injured, and a hostage.

As soon as Happy took a step back, his arm hooked around Rory's waist, Johnny reached for his gun. Firing two warning shots just above his head Happy grinned. "Don't." Lifting her off the ground, he hurried out toward the flatbed, the bounty hunters following until they saw the four loaded guns aimed directly at them.

"Ope, Clay and Bobby are up the road, they'll run interference." Jax said as he clapped his hand on Happy's shoulder, they were already racing down the street away from the motel. "These assholes gonna play hero?" He asked his eyes full of disdain as he looked at Rory, Happy holding her tight as they made a quick, hard turn.

"Yeah," she nodded.

Jax grinned. "We'll be ready for them."