Chapter 3: Princess

Titan City

The Mansion

April 7

2:47 PM

Raven ran down the long corridor that seemed to stretch on endlessly. Finally she reached the end. She heard a scream, but she couldn't tell if it came from the right or the left. She heard the scream again. Turning to the left she ran. She ran, and ran but the hallway continued to stretch on. There was no end in sight. She heard another scream. Something on the floor suddenly caught her eye. She stopped and bent down to pick up a bloody knife. She heard the scream again, only this time she realized that it was coming from herself.

Raven sat up in bed, breathing heavily, covered in sweat. She looked to the alarm clock on her nightstand. 2:47 it read. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her racing heart.

"It was only a dream, only a dream." She chants quietly to herself like she did every time after a nightmare. She hadn't had one in a while and had begun to think that maybe she was done with them. She was wrong.

The door to her room opened and the light turned on. She blinked quickly as her eyes adjusted to the light and she looked over to see Dr. John rolling over to her bed.

"I sensed a strong mental disturbance from your room. I came to check up on you." Dr. John says as explanation. "You want to talk about it?" He asks, looking at her with his kind, tired eyes.

"I was in the hallway again. I couldn't reach her. Only this time it was me screaming." Raven tells him. He nods.

"Raven, your mother's death was not your fault." He says quietly to her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. She shakes it off.

"It was my fault, all of it was my fault. I could have stopped him. I wasn't good enough. I was never good enough. Then again, I don't want to ever be what he wants me to be." Raven states.

"You aren't Raven and you will never be like him. You are nothing like your father."

"He killed her. He killed my mom! He deserves to rot in hell." Raven states bitterly.

"I know Raven, I know. He's in prison though, which is the next best thing." Raven looks over at him, giving him a ghost of the smile.

"Thank you." She says.

"Anything for you, now why don't you lie down and go back to sleep." Raven does as he said, pulling up the covers with her. "Get some sleep Raven, you have school in the morning."

"Do I have to go? Can't I stay here like Lance?" Raven asks hopefully.

"Nope. Night, Raven." Dr. John rolls out of the room, shutting off the light as he went.

Titan City

Titan City High School

9: 45 AM

Titan City is the largest city in the United States. It was modern, not as modern as Cyber City, but it was on the same level as New York City and Chicago. There were the nice parts and the not so nice parts, like Doom Alley, where all the criminals seem to inhabit. The high school was located right on the edge between the nice side of the city and Doom Alley, making it a mixing ground of wealthy students and poorer students.

After second period, Raven stood at her locker, switching out her books when Luke appeared.

"Hey, Raven." He said with a smile. He looked like a complete dork in a button down shirt, tucked in, and khakis. Raven looked at him, before slamming her locker shut and walking away. Luke hurries to keep up with her.