Chapter One: The fox

Start from the beginning

She peeked out from the tree stump, "you're a leader?"

"Yes," I replied.

She just stayed there and gave a slight nod. Suddenly, she raced past another tree and hid behind a bigger tree. She is very interesting now I've met her. She peeked out from the side of the tree and looked around using only her eyes.

"I'm a fox," and she hid again.

No one told her I knew that. That is alright. We can get to know each other.

"I just came here to talk to you, would you care to?" I asked.

She peeked out again and quietly laughed, covering her mouth. She quickly popped out the other side and said, "no," and hid again.

"Why not?" I asked, "it will be fine."

She ran off to another tree and peeked out the side again. I did not know foxes moved so much.

"Where are the others?" She asked.

I looked around confused, "what others?"

"The other hunters," she replied hiding.

"There is no one here but me," I told her, "please come out. I will not harm you."

She suddenly appeared on top of another tree and looked down at me. How did she get up there so quickly?

"Then why do you have a gun?" She asked.

"I do not have a gun," I told her. My holoform doesn't come with one so I was thankful about that.

"You must have a gun, you're a human being."

"I am from another planet."

Agent Fowler did say I could tell her anything because she's a good listener.

"Aren't there guns on your planet?"

"No."

"Really? Ar-are there hunters on your planet?"

"No."

She paused but quickly gave an excited smile, "any chickens?"

"No."

"Ah, well, nothing's perfect," her smile faded.

"Will you come and walk with me?" I asked.

"I can't walk with you. I'm not tamed."

"What do you mean tamed?"

She itched her the side of her face much like a dog would, ignoring me. I moved an inch and she jumped down from the tree and ran off.

"Can you not stay still? I am getting dizzy."

She popped out from a tree behind me, "sorry. I just don't wish to become extinct."

"Do you mean, if I move, you will disappear again?"

"Of course."

"Why?"

"You're a human being. I'm a fox. I hunt chickens, you hunt foxes."

"But I do not."

"You're a human being and you also lie."

"I do not lie."

"Then you're inhuman," she sat down, her side facing me, "to be tamed... let me know before you move! See if this will clear it up. Underneath the leader, you're a man just like a million and a half other men. I'm a fox. Just like a million and a half other foxes but if you tame me... I won't be like all the other foxes and you won't be like the other men. I'll be unique to you, and you will be unique to me. You understand?"