27: Rejected

Finally, it is time to brew the potion. Professor Snape keeps checking the door, making sure that we aren't interrupted by Professor Umbridge. This leaves me to follow the instructions on my own, which I know off by heart.

All of the components are pre-crushed and peeled and cleaned, obviously by me, in preparation for this night.

I mix them, counting each swirl since my life depends on my accuracy. I switch the direction of the swirl after the Ashwinder eggs have finished boiling, and then stir three times before adding in the murtlap tentacle. The potion flashes a bright colour, and it burns my eyes but I don't look away.

As the bright light fades, I quickly powder the rue (which must be freshly done) then I drop it delicately into the cauldron. I continue on, adding in the rest of the ingredients, my sleeves rolled up past my elbow, sweat beading on my forehead that I don't dare let drip into the concoction.

A blast of air shoots out of the cauldron, blowing at my hair that's been pulled back into a braid. It flashes with sparkles of gold and silver, before dimming, until it is finally clear. Almost all of it has evaporated into smoke, with that gust of air blowing past, leaving only about 10 millilitres.

Professor Snape walks over. "Bottle it. Quickly."

I respond by quickly using a funnel to get all that it is into a small bottle. It is half the size of my pinkie finger. The bottle is special. I bought it from Hogsmeade, and it has a long chain around it, so that I can wear it as a necklace.

After all, I still share a room with Elora, Bronwyn, and three other Slytherin girls. I'm not repeating the mistakes I made with the Veritaserum.

"Excellent," Professor Snape says. "Well done, Miss Travers."

I look up at him and offer him the smallest of smiles. It is late March, and I am already done with my studies. Finally, I offer a smile. "Thank you, Professor."

"Our lessons are ending here," he points out. "The potion will have to sit for six months before you consume it. Now, if you'll be so kind as to leave, that would be much appreciated."

I offer one final nod as I duck out of his classroom. From there, I head down the stairs. Footsteps are coming up from above me. I turn around and lookup. Standing in shadow, I can see a figure. The figure stops and pauses to look at me. It's a good fifty metres away; it could be a professor (in which case I'm screwed).

Still, it does not move towards me. So, I pull out my wand.

"Lumos maximum," I cast, and I light up the space, revealing both myself and Harry Potter.

He stares at me, brow furrowed. I take a step closer, and so does he, until we meet halfway up the stairs.

"What are you doing?" I ask, looking him up and down.

"Sneaking about," he answers, swallowing. He looks around us, checking for any intruders. "What are you doing?"

"Meeting with Professor Snape," I tell him.

Harry Potter leans in closer. "Is he teaching you Occlumency?"

Occlumency? What a strange art to mention. Perhaps Professor Snape is breaking more rules than I had expected.

"No," I pull out the vial and show it to Harry Potter. "We're brewing together. Liquid Luck."

"Oh," he says, and his voice is small. "Well. I'm late."