40: Discharged

After a few minutes, I realize my brother is not coming. I cannot stop shaking. I cannot stand. With my grip tight around my wand, I apparate once more, screaming out in pain as I do.

I end up in the living room that Robbie and I used to share. Hopefully, Robbie still lives here.

I slam my fist against the ground, praying that someone will hear me. When no one comes, I slam my fist again, and grunt out as loudly as I can.

Robbie comes out of her bedroom and sees me. She drops to her knees in front of me, pulling off her cardigan. She ties up her hair behind her ears, staring me down.

"What happened?" she asks.

I grunt out, trying my best to make a sound, but I'm still shaking. "Splinched."

She runs back into her room and comes out with a bottle and a tincture. Robbie pours it on my leg, and I keep shaking as it stings. Robbie pulls off my shoe, and I squeal in pain.

"We have to get you to St. Mungo's," Robbie points out. "This, this is a bad splinch."

Robbie puts back on my shoe and lets me use her as a crutch to make it to the closest fireplace. We use it to take the Floo Network to the hospital. Once we are there, I'm carted away by several doctors. Turns out I lost a toe in the accident, and it seems that since I don't have it recovered, they cannot do anything about it. Additionally, my whole left leg is splinched. I'm there for a week since the doctors need to teach me how to walk again.

Robbie visits me on her breaks. It's July now, and she still doesn't ask me exactly what happened. She doesn't ask why I left, or if I plan on going back once I'm healed, or how I ended up splinched in her sitting room.

Thankfully, I send a letter to my work, explaining the splinching accident. They are very understanding and accommodating, giving me the week off. I'm thankful I'm not a witch in the USA, otherwise, I'd probably be fired. Eventually, I need to be back to work.

Turns out, Robbie couldn't find a new roommate. She tried her best, but everyone, pure-blood and half-blood alike turned their noses at her.

"A lot has gone on since you've been with your family," Robbie says. "Have you been reading the papers?"

I've been a little too preoccupied. That's when Robbie tells me about Professor Dumbledore's death. The ministry is intervening in Hogwarts, more than they have before. More than when Professor Umbridge was in office.

Nothing is looking good.

Eventually, I move back into the flat, as if nothing has happened. My bedroom is untouched, but money is tighter than ever. What I was able to save while living at my parent's estate is now spent on buying new clothing to fit me. In the back of my mind, I know that my brother knows where I live, but I realize he will always know, so long as he works at the Ministry.

I make my potions at work and stare at the Veritaserum. It has gotten me into a boatload of trouble. None of this would've happened without it. Yet, I am grateful for all that it has put me through. Finally, I am free, and it was the push I needed to be who I truly am.

After a few weeks, when I no longer need the cane, I decide to go real shopping. I pass by Weasley Wizard Wheezes and hesitate.

Then, I head inside.

Inside, I wander around the store. I find myself drifting to the area with all the WonderWitch products. I pick up one of the perfumes and smell it.