14: Defiled

The lunar phase is ending, as is the school year. We've got one week left, one event of the Triwizard tournament left, and one potion to brew.

As I'm stirring, I'm waiting. It's a light peach; it needs to be clear.

"Professor Snape," I call out, casting a glance over my shoulder.

He stands up from his desk and struts over to me. He hasn't bothered me about the Amortentia that has been stolen again, nor the ingredients for the Polyjuice potion. Still, he is cold and distant.

"Yes," his drawl is slow. He lingers above me but I don't dare tear my eyes away from the potion.

It smells of tangerine rinds. It should be odourless and colourless. I only have three stirs left.

"Wait," he instructs before I can speak.

With one stir, it is clear. The next the odour leaves. I finish swirling, placing the spoon down beside me.

"Adequate, Miss Travers," he says. He scoops it up, bottling it, and he hands it over to himself. With the tip of his finger, he places a droplet on his tongue.

"How can we be sure it works?" I ask.

He takes the bottle puts the bottle back on the counter. "You'll have to use it. At home, preferably with a family member. If I find out you have used it on a Hogwarts student, I will not be able to take you under my wing next year. Understood?"

I nod profusely. "I look forward to the opportunity next year."

It's the closest I can come to thanking him. Professor Snape hands me the bottle, and gestures for me to clean up the mess I've left out.

After putting away all the supplies, I rush out of the room. With the Veritaserum in my pocket, I head down to the dormitories, winding by hallways and down the staircases.

On the way, I stop by the Great Hall. There, I scan the tables, looking for a certain Weasley boy. It's dinner time, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I spot him at the Gryffindor table. I head over, ducking past people who stare at me. He's eating across from George, both of them smiling.

"Hey, speaking of," Fred points out, a smile on his face.

George looks up at me. "To what do we owe the pleasure?"

I look at them both, and pull out the vial. "I brewed the Veritaserum."

George and Fred exchange a glance. Their smiles turn into grins, slowly rising.

"No way am I letting you prank anyone with this," I tell them, shaking my head. "It's controlled by the ministry."

"But it would be so fun," Fred points out. He stretches his arms above his head, leaning back. A yawn on his lips.

"We'd only need three drops," George agrees. He looks back up at me. "Although, we accept that you choose to follow the rules. Don't we Freddie?"

"You might," Fred quips, leaning backwards. He laughs. "I'm just messing with you it's fine. Really, we ought to be thanking you."

"Why?" I ask.

It occurs to me then exactly what I am doing. At least, that I'm associating with them in the presence of everyone. I look over at the Slytherin table and only see Silas there. Of course, there are a few other Slytherins in my year, but they don't seem to notice me.