Heart of Iron

Oscar and Ironwood have their first encounter with one another after the General shot Oscar.  Aka, Ruby learns what happened.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

Ruby stared at the General.  A memory flashed before her eyes.

"How did you end up in the slums?"

Oscar looked away, "It's a long story."

What was that story?  What had happened while Oscar and this man had encountered each other?  Did he do something, or the reason why Oscar was in the slums for another reason?

Ironwood's shock was still written on his face, which wasn't surprising.  After all, they did literally just crash into the room from the ceiling unintentionally.  He looked directly at Oscar.  "You're... you're alive?"

The boy in question narrowed his eyes as he stood up.  He idly brushed some of the dust off his shoulders with his fingers.  "Yes.  No thanks to you, General."

The man shook his head.  "I should have known it would take more-"

"To do what, James?!"  Oscar snapped.  "You flipping shot me and made me fall from the top of Atlas to the slums!  What more did you want?  I never did anything to you!  I thought we were friends, and I'm not talking about you and Ozpin!"

"I did what needed to be done."

Ruby stepped in between the two, pointing her weapon at the general.  "What did you do?"

"Ruby..."  Oscar tried to move past her, but she held her arm out, stopping him.

"No, Oscar.  I'm angry,"  Ruby growled, glaring at Ironwood at the same time.

Oscar immediately took a step back, surprised to find Ruby so ticked off about the situation.  His own anger was even faltered by just seeing the fury in her eyes and he was the one that Ironwood had shot and let fall to his death.  Him, a mere fifteen year old boy who had been dragged into the whole war.

He wasn't the one who chose to have a an ancient voice in his head who happened to making a lot of people angry.  First, it had been Hazel.  Then Qrow.  Then Jaune. Then Ironwood.  The list just went on about all the pain he had recieved because someone was angry at Ozpin, not him.  Yet, because Oz was stuck in his body, he was the one that recieved the brunt of that anger.  The punches, the shoving, the yelling, the everything.  He would be lying if it wasn't starting to take a toll on him mentally as it was physically.

"Ruby-"

"Don't even try excusing yourself, Ironwood!"  Ruby snapped.  "Not for me, not Oscar, not for what you did to everyone!  When we're done, it will be you behind the bars and not me!  You've crossed the line Ironwood. You went too far and it ends now." She pointed her weapon, Crescent Rose, at the general.

"Very well, then if it must be this way..." ironwood pulled out his pistal and the two collided in combat.