I'd been suspicious of his quick acceptance of us working together, and for what? It was literally his duty to try to find peaceful alternatives and prepare for the future. One day our elders would pass and we would be left in charge. Claude would begin making connections and taking over responsibilities once he graduated.

And I... what would I be doing? I wouldn't be heading my family. I didn't think I ever would be. But I could change how they viewed vampires, and I could aim toward a position in the UR and work alongside both vampires and humans, like Adora's parents, and like Adora planned to.

But that was getting too far ahead of myself. The first step was to get a start on working with my father to change his viewpoint and get him to understand there didn't need to be animosity between humans and vampires.

Although the idea of him befriending vampires sounded impossible and out of reach, if he was acceptable to the idea of working together with vampires for true peace, then it would work out somehow. And the idea of that made me a little giddy. Everyone getting along. My sister coming to meet Kaz and Adora. How would she react to Claude? They would totally butt heads but maybe get along after getting to know each other.

If everything just went well... I crossed my fingers. And then the nerves set in all over again and I hunched in on myself. I just needed to get this over with.

"Okay, I'm ready this time," I told Kaz.

"Are you sure it's okay to go out without your eye patch? Will it affect its healing process?"

I prodded at the skin under my eye. It was still sore, but I'd managed to cover the bruises with makeup. It didn't look like I was injured anywhere, maybe just tired. "I can't wear it. My father will ask what happened. It's just for a little bit."

"Okay... but make sure you put it back on after, okay?"

"I will. Let's go. Time to face my father."

Unsurprisingly, my father and I were meeting up in a secluded space, away from the throngs of vampires crowding the ground. I couldn't believe how many families had turned up. Groups were scattered across the courtyard, coming in and out of buildings, and students showed their parents around, settled into the benches with steaming Styrofoam cups, with no care to the bite in the frigid air. All smiles everywhere.

I smiled, too. I understand how they felt. As much as I enjoyed my freedom at the academy, I still missed my family. And even though I would be having a tough discussion with my father, I still really wanted to see him.

Kaz dropped me off in front of the visitor's center next to the auditorium. Claude would be in the auditorium all day, busy with addressing the parents visiting the academy. I kind of wanted to see that in action. I couldn't imagine Claude being friendly, let alone chatting with hundreds of people all day. Did Claude even smile? I didn't think so.

"Call or text me if you need me," Kaz told me, his forehead creasing as he looked up at the visitor's center. "I'm right next door, so I can be there quickly."

"I'm fine. Keep an eye on Claude, okay?"

"That's the plan. Good luck, Cleo."

We parted ways, and I climbed up the stone steps that led to the entrance to the building. My heart rate increased with each step, but I wasn't sure if it was due to nervousness or excitement. Maybe a bit of both. I stepped into the warm foyer and a guard gestured toward one of the doors toward the back.

"Through here and down the hall to the left," she said.

I nodded, hurrying past her, and only gave myself five-seconds to prepare myself before opening the door.

What's at Stakeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें