My Love (B. Wyman)

1958

"Good morning," you heard Bill whisper into you ear as soon as your eyes were opened.

"Good morning," you giggled in response, turning over so you could look at him.

"Merry Christmas, my love," he whispered, brushing some hair back behind your ear to get a better look at your face. "Wait till you see what I've got planned for today." He grinned cheekily and you couldn't help but smile.

"What could you possibly have planned?" you asked him.

"I guess you'll just have to see," he responded. "Just telling you would spoil the fun, wouldn't it?"

You nodded. "I guess it would."

He chuckled and leaned over to place a kiss on your lips, sending butterflies into your stomach. "But first," he quipped. "I don't wanna get up yet."

You giggled as he leaned back in.

You were in the kitchen cooking breakfast when you felt a familiar pair of arms come at you from behind.

"What are we having this morning?" Bill asked you, resting his head on your shoulder and slipping his hands under the robe you were wearing over nothing but your underclothes.

"Scrambled eggs and bacon," you told him with a wide grin.

"Sounds brilliant," he replied before pulling a small box from behind his back. "Would you like to open this for me?" he asked, moving away from you to lean against the counter.

You rolled your eyes with a smile as you poured some eggs into the skillet on the stovetop. You took the little box from him and he slipped away from the counter.

"Open it," he said, leaning close again.

Your grinned to yourself and carefully tore the paper to be met with a small, square box. You carefully slipped the lid off and found a tiny, folded up note inside, so you pulled it out to see what it was. You sat the box down and unfolded the paper.

Come and catch me, if you can, it read. You turned around confusedly, expecting to see Bill standing behind you, but he was gone.

You realized the eggs on the stove were done, so you quickly arranged them on a plate and then went off to find Bill. You went into the living room, then the foyer, the bedroom, and even the bathroom, but didn't find him anywhere. Finally, you noticed something you'd completely missed: a little slip of paper with an arrow on the floor. You followed where it was pointing and realized you were looking at the back door. Is this where he wanted you to go?

You went into the he bedroom and threw on the first set of clothing you could find and pulled a coat around yourself before you went outside in search of Bill. You peered around the yard, then spotted something set up at the very back of the yard, so you ventured over to see what it was.

Bill had set up a little scene. He had a whole lot of rose petals situated on the ground, roughly in the shape of a heart and he was waiting in the middle with a proud grin on his face.

You looked everything over in shock. How did he manage to do this so quickly? Who knew. He was dressed in a light red dress shirt and a pair of dark trousers, wearing a smile on his face that sent butterflies through your stomach.

"I see you found me," he said, coming over and taking you by the hand to pull you over and join him.

You had a wide smile on your face. He made you feel so special and you couldn't get over it. You loved him so much.

"So, I ran over a hundred different ways to do this, but they were all too...elaborate. I figured I didn't need to do anything big in the end. I just wanted it to be you and me."

You nodded, eagerly anticipating whatever it was that he was doing.

"Close your eyes," he said with a coy grin. "Please?" he added when you looked upset at his command.

"Oh, fine," you said before firmly closing your eyes. You waited patiently for him to tell you to open them again, feeling him take you by the hand and guide you somewhere else.

"Okay, you can open," he said finally, sounding slightly nervous.

You opened your eyes and the air was knocked right out of your lungs when you saw him on the ground, situated on one knee. You felt a huge rush of emotions and he waited a moment to let you gather your wits before he began to speak again.

"We've been together for two years now and I've never once wanted to be with anyone other than you. Every time I see you, it makes me feel good, no matter how bad I'm feeling. You make me feel good, y/n." He smiled. "I'm ready to be with you forever. Y/n, will you marry me?"

A slight laugh tumbled out of your mouth and you nodded.

"You bloody idiot, of course I will," you responded and he laughed too, standing back up and taking you into his arms.

This was the best Christmas you'd ever had.