Daddy's Work (J.P. Jones)

1972

It was Christmas Eve. Your three children were dressed up in red jumpers and jeans, bundled up in coats, and you had just arrived at the mall.

Jacinda was the oldest at four and Kierra the youngest at three. You and John had been slightly distant lately. Led Zeppelin had been touring nonstop and he was always so exhausted when he got home that you two just never seemed to get along, but when it came to your children, you could always get along, for the sake of them.

You and John got out of the car and went to get the kids out of their car seats in the back before starting towards the mall.

"We're gonna see Santa, right?" the red-headed Kierra asked her father as he carried her towards the building.

John smiled at her. "Yes, we are," he assured her. "I promise we will."

"Santa will give you anything you ask for, right?" Jacinda asked.

You nodded. "Yes, he will," you replied. "What are you gonna ask him for?" you then asked the girls.

"It's a secret!" Jacinda said with a coy smile.

You entered the building and found the line to wait in to see Santa. Jacinda and Kierra began to get impatient after a while. "When will it be my turn?" asked Kierra.

"Soon," you assured the little girl.

Finally, about ten minutes later, they made it to the front of the line. Jacinda took her youngest sister's hand and led her up to where the man in the red suit was sitting. He pulled each of the girls up onto his lap and asked them. "What are your names?"

You and John watched with smiles on your faces and they told him.

"And what is it that you want for Christmas?"

"I want a pony!" Kierra said enthusiastically and the two of you, along with the guy in the red suit, chuckled.

"A pony? Now, how is that going to fit on my sleigh?" he asked.

"I dunno," replied Kierra, seeming to think hard about the question. "Just leave me one of your reindeer and that will do just fine."

"Oh, well, maybe I can make that happen." He turned to Jacinda, who looked more nervous than was necessary. "What about you?" he asked her.

"I—." She looked around at everyone to see that no one except for the man in front of her and her parents were playing attention. "I wanna Mommy and Daddy to stop fighting," she said rather quietly, causing both you and John to gasp in surprise. You had not been expecting that.

"You do?" asked the man, sounding a bit nervous now.

She nodded. "They're always fighting about Daddy's work and how he's always away on tour. I wish he could just stay home and everything would be okay."

The words broke your heart.

"Well, I'll see what I can do," said the man, looking at you and John sympathetically.

Kierra and Jacinda posed for a picture and then hopped down, going back over to you as you knelt down.

"Cindy?" you asked.

The little girl smiled. "I just want you guys to be happy," she admitted.

John smiled over at you and nodded at his daughter. "Let's go to the candy store, shall we?" he asked and they girls cheered in triumph, already knowing exactly where to go. You and John stood back up straight and smiled at one another.

"Maybe they're right," he said as you began to follow them. "I think I need to talk to the band," he admitted. "Touring is getting to be too much."

"John—," you began.

He shook his head. "I'm sure we'll come to an agreement. We always do. I don't want you to worry. Let that be my job." He took you by the hand and leaned down to kiss you on the forehead.

"I love you, John," you said.

"I love you too, y/n."