NINE

Used to sing about being free but now he's changed his mind

"Daniel? What are you doing here?" I asked him as I stood there completely shocked.

"Your mom told me that she hadn't heard from you in a few days. I stopped by your apartment and you weren't there. I figured that this was the only place that you could be." Daniel put his hands in his pockets. It was freezing outside, but I couldn't let him in.

If Daniel saw Harry, then I knew that he could possibly recognize him. I knew that since Harry had been away that his face was probably all over the news and magazines.

"What is it that you want, Daniel?" I had my left hand on the doorknob ready to close the door in his face.

I hadn't heard from him in a while and all of a sudden he wanted to show up? I was nervous that Harry would make some sort of noise from the other room and Daniel would know that I wasn't alone.

"I wanted to talk to you. Can you let me in?"

I shook my head, "I don't think that's a good idea."

Daniel scoffed,"Come on, Carter. We are both grown ups. We should be able to have a civilized conversation."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Well, this is me telling you in the most grown up way possible to leave. I don't want to have any conversation with you. Not after how you acted before."

"I came here to apologize for that. Please, just let me in so that we can talk. It's really cold out here." He practically begged.

"Maybe some other time or something. I just don't want to talk to you." I started to close the door when I heard Harry.

"Carter? Where are you?"

I was praying that Daniel somehow didn't hear, but by the look on his face I knew that he did.

"Are you shacking up here with some guy, Carter?" He asked angrily.

"No, that's not what is going on!"

"Then explain it to me!"

"I can't, Daniel. You just need to leave." I prayed that he would just walk away and not mention to my mother that I was staying at the cabin with some guy, but I knew that I wasn't going to be so lucky.

I heard footsteps behind me and I knew that Harry was coming. I started to close the front door but Daniel put his hand against it and stopped me.

"Carter? What is going on?" I looked behind me and Harry was standing in the doorway of the bedroom. He was shirtless despite the cold and I could tell by his stance that he was feeling a bit better.

Daniel stepped inside when I wasn't looking, "So this guy must be the reason why you called off the engagement, right Carter?"

"No, he's not the reason! You need to leave Daniel!" I yelled hoping that he would be I knew that he was too stubborn to.

"I can't believe you, Carter! All this time I thought we were going to spend the rest of our lives together and you have someone else!" Daniel was furious. I had never seen him this angry before. We had gotten into fights when we were together, but never shouted at one another like now.

"I just met him! It's not even like that, Daniel! I don't have to explain myself to you so you should just go!" I opened the door wider.

He stepped to the door but looked at me before he walked out, "I came here to talk to you about giving us another chance, but I see that's all changed now."