chapter 6 // the aftermath

WARNING. ITS SHORT. Also I listened to the Fall Out Boy album while writing it, so my apologies 

dedicated to fivesaucewhoop because Paige is legit queen. srsly tho how do you update all of your books so frequently and they're all so good. I cry bc you're goals af

~*~

Calum never called.

Hallie waited all weekend for her phone to ring, but it stayed silent, aside for a few texts from Rylin.

She didn't exactly expect him to try to contact her, considering how she had treated him on their date, but she still hoped that he would. She wanted to apologize to him, and go down to the field at midnight to practice with him.

But he didn't call her.

And Hallie deserved it.

When Monday finally arrived, Hallie begrudgingly made her way to Spanish. She knew this hour was going to drag on and she would be stuck in the same room as Calum for the longest hour of her life.

She thought about apologizing to him and ending the awkwardness right now, but she thought about how he disregarded her all weekend. He probably wanted nothing to do with her anymore and if she tried to fix things between them, they would probably just get worse.

Calum pranced into the room, laughing loudly and dragging his fingers through his tangled mess of brown hair, Luke following closely behind. They slowly approached their seats (which were conveniently directly behind her) and sat down.

The teacher droned on about the correct way to conjugate verbs into the past tense for the entire class period, but I couldn't concentrate on anything other than Calum.

"You guys will be starting partner projects today. I paired you up, so don't even bother trying to be with your friends. Alright, here we go," Mr Sanchez began reading off the partners. Hallie really hoped that she wouldn't be with Calum. Things would be too awkward to actually get any work done.

"Hallie, you're with Luke," she breathed out a sigh of relief, "and Calum, you're with Gretchen."

Hallie watched Calum as a smile crept onto his face. He turned to Luke to ask him a question.

"When did she get put into this hour?"

"Dude, her schedule got switched all around last week, so since last week. How have you not noticed?" Luke replied.

Calum got up from his seat and found a seat next to Gretchen's desk to sit in and discuss the project with her. Hallie made her way over to Luke's desk, trying to ignore how happy Calum looked that he was with Gretchen.

"So Luke, what do you want to do for the assignment?" Hallie inquired awkwardly.

"Honestly, I don't care about that right now. We just need to make sure that Calum doesn't get back together with Gretchen. He was just starting to get over her, but he's still head over heels in love with her. Knowing him, he's going to get attached again and she's just going to break his heart."

Hallie couldn't believe it; he went on a date with her while he was in love with another girl. She realized now that she was his rebound and she couldn't have been more dumb for going along with it. She knew things were too good to be true.

"Alright, well honestly, I don't care about that right now. I'll just do the whole project. You can put your name on it. You're welcome," Hallie fumed. Luke glanced up at her with a startled expression. Hallie couldn't have felt more grateful for the impeccable timing of the bell, as she gathered her things and stormed out of the classroom.