chapter four // lol @ Hal (I hate myself omg)

dedicated to sugarplumluke BC ROOMMATES MAKES ME FEEL SOME SORT OF WAY ASDFGHJKL

~*~

Calum groaned and grabbed his phone to silence his alarm. 5:30 was too early to wake up. He ran into the bathroom to turn on the shower and scrolled through his Twitter feed while he waited for the water to heat up.

He wiggled out of his boxers and stepped into the shower. While he cleansed his dark brown hair, he couldn't help but let his mind wander. He thought about Hallie and Gretchen, but mainly Hal. She was everything he ever wanted in a girl. For Christ sake, she beat him in a football game. But there was still the possibility of Gretchen resurfacing. Calum didn't know why he wanted her back; she dumped him. He wanted to get to know Hallie better, but he doubted that he could with the dark cloud of guilt hanging over his head.

~*~

When Calum got to school, he weaves through his peers in an attempt to find his friends. He keeps his head down as he weaves his way through the sea of people. Calum attempts to side-step his way around a person who is standing right in front of him, without looking up, but the person goes wherever he goes. He gets annoyed and snaps his head up, ready to tell off whoever is messing with him, but is greeted by the smiling face of Hallie.

"Yo," she laughs, putting two fingers into a peace sign and holding it up into the air.

"Oh, Hallie Cohen. Never do that again in your entire lifetime, please," Calum laughed.

Hal threw her hands up in surrender and stepped out of Calum's path and to his side again. Hallie continues along the hallway without any more interaction with Calum, leaving him slightly disappointed. With a small shrug, he resumed weaving through his peers to make his way to maths. They went about their days less drearily than normal. Maybe it was the fact that Hallie kept replaying her night with Calum over and over, causing butterflies to erupt in her stomach. Or maybe it was because Calum kept stealing glances at Hallie during passing period. Whatever it was, the two didn't mind it. Their days got even better during Spanish, their only class with each other.

"Hola," Calum said to Hallie with a grin, sitting in the desk next to her. Hallie rolled her eyes, but still let out a laugh.

"Hey," she told him casually before leaning down to her backpack to grab her notebook.

Calum gazed at her, eyes never leaving her face. As their teacher droned on about infinitives and Spanish tenses (things that neither of them would remember or use), Calum couldn't help himself. He wanted to see her again. He suddenly cared about Gretchen a little bit less. The bell rang and Hallie dashed out of class. Calum ran after her.

"Hal, wait up!"

She spun around on the heel of her foot to see what he wanted. She waited impatiently for him to catch up. She didn't want to be late for her next class. He finally reached her spot in the hallway and they continued the trek to the stairwell; both of their next classes were downstairs. He licked his lips, searching for the right way to phrase his words.

"Hallie, I really want to see you again."

"Okay," her voice trailed off in confusion, "you'll see me tomorrow at school."

"No, like outside of school. Can we hang out tonight?"

She pondered the question for awhile before responding.

"I can't until my parents fall asleep. I have so much homework tonight," she groaned.

"Perfect. Same spot, same time. Bring your ball. Things are gonna get dirty. No innuendo intended," Calum winked, and walked away to his next class.