Meng Yao (2)

A stream burbles as it travels along its bed, bubbling over rocks and branches

     A stream burbles as it travels along its bed, bubbling over rocks and branches. The scenery was beautiful. Trees surrounded the area, and wild creatures ran around—the tender breeze of air, a pleasant feel underneath the warm sun.

Although he wished to stay longer, Meng Yao was sent here with a purpose by his captain. The captain who leads the group Meng Yao is working with.

The captain who leads a team under Chifeng-zun's command. The same captain who never asks nicely for things.

Meng Yao knew that no captain would ever ask anything from him with a pleasant tone and with words chosen carefully with thought.

The bruise on his chest still tingled slightly as a result of the encounter with the captain, who had forcefully thrown empty flasks onto his arms. "Look for us in the cave after you're done. I expect you to be on time; my men dislike waiting, and so do I." the captain had spoken to him in a harsh tone, showing no mercy as he turned sharply on his heel and left.

He finished re-filling each of the bamboo flasks with the running water of the stream. The weight of the flasks was heavier, possibly even more than his sword. He made his way back up to the mountain, following a path that led to the cave where the captain expected him.

Laughter reached his ears, and he halted his steps to take a breath.

He could hear the captain's loud voice even from standing outside at a distance from the cave. "People like him,"

"Aren't qualified to be my servant." no hesitation.

"Yeah, right, what a joke he is." laughter.

Of course, what did he expect? a thank you? a welcome back?

Meng Yao turned back around, facing away from the cave, and he walked until he couldn't hear the men's chatter.

He's just a joke. That's all he is to them.

Finding a tree with shade, he sat down with his feet to rest on the dry ground. He propped up the flasks against the tree and relaxed his shoulders.

Other people must think it doesn't affect him, but he can't help but think how much the words stung him.

He fished out some white-colored food from his provisions and washed it down with water. As he ate, his head hung low.

It didn't take long before he felt enveloped in a tall shadow. He looked up, put his food away, and stoop up quickly. "Sect Leader Nie,"

"Meng Yao?"

Respectfully, Meng Yao answered, "Yes."

Nie Mingjue, "Why didn't you go inside the cave, as everyone else did?"

Meng Yao opened his mouth but only smiled awkwardly, as though he didn't know what to say. Seeing this, Nie Mingjue went past him and walked in the direction of the cave. "Come with me."

He pursed his lips, picked up the flasks, and followed closely behind Nie Mingjue.

Both stealthily entered the cave in silence, Meng Yao almost holding his breath, not feeling so good suddenly once he heard the men's loud chatter.

"Ah?, that Meng Yao...is he really Jin Guangshan's son?"

"true, it is him."

"No way! Why would Jin Guangshan's son mingle with people like us? Why didn't he go find his father?. Do you think he doesn't want to go back?"

"Story was..."

Meng Yao felt a gust of air creep up behind him, provoking him to block out the awful gossiping about him in the presence of Chifeng-zun.  With the corner of his eye, he managed to catch a violet light reflecting on his sleeves. He said nothing and continued to listen to the gossiping of the men.

"...In the end, he couldn't even get inside the golden Koi Tower porch and got kicked down the stairs at the gate! Scrapped his face in the most embarrassing way!"

"Also, that Young Master; so elegant and courageous. Why he hangs out with such a low-life? perhaps that Meng Yao placed some spell onto him, what goes on at night if I imagine—"

"Speaking of which, where is this Meng Yao? I'm almost finished with my water. I need him to bring me more water."

"Hey, look! Jin Guangshan's son can only resign himself to fetch water for us obediently!"

"Resign your a*s! he busies himself with everything everywhere, so strong-willed. He's just slowly working his way to accomplishing something, so his dad accepts him!"

Nie Mingjue's hand immediately pressed onto the hilt of his blade; Meng Yao hurried to stop him, but it was too late as either way, someone else who was behind him; took a few steps forwards and struck a side of the cave, causing a boulder to come crashing down.

A few dozen cultivators who rested inside the cave all jumped and unsheathed their swords, surprised at the fallen boulder.

"What a shame! as cultivators under Sect Leader Nie. drinking the water Meng Yao brought you while you speak such spiteful words, did you all come here to gossip or kill Wen dogs?!" A voice seethed with anger.

Y/n, don't be too impulsive; Chifeng-zun...

Nie Mingjue stepped forwards to stand next to Y/n. Immediately the cultivators that rested inside of the cave lowered their heads and clasped their hands together in the most respectful way; faces evident with shock.