Y/n (13)

A few weeks after Young Master Jin's celebratory banquet, Meng Yao and Y/n had become close

     A few weeks after Young Master Jin's celebratory banquet, Meng Yao and Y/n had become close. The thought of a father kicking his own blood down the stairs in public was outrageous and downright shameless.

Although Meng Yao helped Y/n with some tasks that were not many but could be considered an average paying job, Y/n insisted on writing him a recommendation letter to work as a bookkeeper under Lanling Jin.

Thankfully, a few days later, after Meng Yao had applied and demonstrated his scholar skills (Which never failed to surprise Y/n), Meng Yao had gotten the job successfully.

Today, Meng Yao was awfully late from work. Usually, Meng Yao would arrive just in time for evening dinner, but it's already past evening; heck, the sun is already down, and there are no signs of Meng Yao's return yet.

Is he overworking himself again?

A deep sigh escaped Y/n's lips as he sat down on a log outside of his house, completely forgetting about the boiling pot with food inside.

He closed his eyes the slightest,

"Young Master L/n?" A soft voice spoke.

How many times do I have to tell you not to use formalities around me—

"Meng Yao? You're back." Y/n tiredly opened his eyes,

Meng Yao smiled gently, his dimples showing before he sat down next to Y/n and looked up at the stars in the night sky,

Y/n crossed his arms over his chest, blowing a strand of hair out of his face. "You're late."

Meng Yao's eyes widened slightly, "A-Ah, You always said, do what you believe is right. Nothing can ever stop you—"

Y/n scoffed the slightest, "What a load of crap."

When he was met with silence, Y/n turned his head around and saw Meng Yao looking down at his fists, scrunching up his robes.

Immediately, Y/n waved his hands and laughed awkwardly. "Wait, A-Yao! No, don't listen to me, okay? Forget I just told you that, I mean—let us go inside for dinner. You've worked hard today." He stood up and turned around, waving for him to follow.

Before standing up to follow behind Y/n, Meng Yao hurriedly wiped his eyes with the back of his hands.

Y/n walked over to the boiling soup on the stove; the smell coming was odd, and the colors were off quite a bit too. It was then he realized, "Shoot, It's burnt, sorry. But I'll cook another pot!"

Meng Yao shook his head, "It's alright."

Noticing Meng Yao's reddened eyes, Y/n furrowed his brows. "Ah, let us take a break instead." He quietly said and led Meng Yao to the wooden bed at the corner of the room. He took off his boots and comfortably sat in a meditating position. Meng Yao shortly followed suit.

"I don't want to offend anyone," Meng Yao began, unable to look at Y/n.

Y/n was surprised at Meng Yao's choice of words, "Then, If one is so easily offended, they might just be a narrow-minded douchebag." he replied to him.

Meng Yao let out a sigh and pursed his lips. "Young Master Y—"

"Just Y/n, there is no need for formalities with me. We're almost the same age, no?"

Meng Yao turned to look at him and smiled, "Y/n."

"Much better," Y/n said before nodding, "You don't want to offend anyone? This..."

Meng Yao seemed to be in thought for a moment, "Y/n. You are not your true self, are you?"

"True self? This is the original me." Y/n said while pointing to himself.

Meng Yao looked hesitant, yet he continued. "Sometimes, I feel like you are wearing a mask. It's nothing terrible—but I only wished you show your true self more often."

"So this mask of mine looks nice to you?" Y/n leaned over to Meng Yao, reaching out his hands and holding Meng Yao's face gently.

"Y-yes. But If I could only have a peek of your original look, then I—"

Y/n lowered his hands from Meng Yao's face and looked at him almost dead in the eye, "Years ago, someone told me that he could not live anymore. He asked me what the purpose of living is and the meaning of it is. Do you wanna know my answer?"

Meng Yao faintly nodded.

"I said If you don't know what to live for. Then just live for me. If you don't know the meaning of living, then take me as the meaning of your life." Y/n titled his head to the side slightly, "I wonder how he is doing now...but! Such words I said; aren't they too immature?"

Before Meng Yao could reply, Y/n waved a hand. "What if my original look is hideous? If I'm a hideous-looking beast, do you still want to see?"

Meng Yao nodded like a confident child, "I want to see it. we're friends now, and friends gotta be sincere with each other."

At this, Y/n dropped himself onto the bed and laughed.

"Why are you laughing? Did I say something..?" Meng Yao asked, eyebrows furrowed, slightly confused.

Y/n closed his eyes, and a playful smile stretched upon his lips. "Leave it to next time. If you don't mind, I'll see you with my real look."