Chapter One ↠ I'm from Seattle

" I can't say anything I don't like about Seattle. "

                                                                        -Felix Hernandez

I'm from Seattle. I do and always will identify as a Seattleite. It doesn't matter that I wasn't born here. This place as adopted me like one of it's own. Rain is my favorite weather. It gives most Seattleites a reason to stay inside all day. But I love to run in the rain. I love the way it feels when I run my fingers through my dark, freshly wet hair. And I love watching my black converse splash in the various puddles. The people in my neighbor hood think I'm weird because most people run in running shorts and a sports bra, right? Yeah, I ran in jeans and an oversized sweater from my favorite thrift shop. The ironic thing is that it was covered in cats.

I'm a werewolf.

So I'm sitting here in an Uber on my way to the airport. I'm being forced to leave my beloved Seattle. My mom always told me that when it rained and you were about to leave Seattle, it was the city crying because it would miss you so much. God, that was someone I missed.

About two and a half weeks ago my mother was brutally murdered. She was the alpha of our pack. A family of hunters from Germany, the Eisenhuts, killed her. Along with most of the pack. Then a day after I found out that I was a true alpha. And now I'm being shipped off to Beacon Hills, California to live with my aunt and cousin.

So happy birthday, Maya. A dead mom and half a dead pack, and a new cousin. Some sweet sixteen.

 ➳

The air is much dryer here. That's the first thing I noticed. In Seattle, it's constantly wet in the air. The moisture always got me a good night sleep. Great. Really looking forward to lots of bloody noses tonight.

I wheel my hard, red suitcase off the runway and into the airport. The air conditioning makes the dry air slightly more bearable.

I wander through the airport, following the glowing maps posted in every gate until I find my way to the baggage claim. Two people with 'Maya' written on a piece of white posterboard. They have the same skin as me, and the boy has the same eyes as me. They must be my family. The only family I have left. My cousin, his name is Scott I think, waves over at me. I don't know how he reconizes me, we've never met. Must've seen pictures or something. But he can't of seen pictures because of my eyes. 

I wave back and hurry over to them.

"Are you Maya?" asks Melissa with a smile.

I nod quickly, smiling back. That's another thing we share: a smile. After introductions and hugs, we walk out to their car. Scott's driving and I'm forced to sit in the back. Once we arrive at my new house. And their current house, Melissa shows me to my room. It's quite bland now, with nothing but a black bed with white and grey sheets and a desk. My stuff won't get here for a couple days, it's currently on a moving truck probably somewhere in Oregon by now. But that doesn't mean I can't paint. Most of my art supplies is with my other stuff, but I won't sleep on a boring grey room.

"Can we paint?" I ask, turning away from the bed to face Melissa.

"Sure! Sure! If it will make you feel more at home." she replies enthusiastically.

"Can we do it tomorrow?" I ask, as Scott apears behind his mother. He walks infront of her, coming to stand by me.

"I can get my friends to help?" Scott suggested. Melissa had looked sceptical, after all she was leaving a bunch of teenagers with probably around three or four cans of paint, alone in her house. But she brightened up when Scott said he would gets his friends to help.