22.

Layla woke up slowly, alone in Klaus' bed. She sat up, and noticed him behind an easel, painting a picture. There clothes littered the floor from last night, Klaus was only in his jeans, his bare chest exposed. Layla wrapped the sheet around her body. She slowly walked behind Klaus, setting her head down on his shoulder. She looked at the picture he was painting, a familiar scene. It was of her in very old clothing, sitting underneath a tree. The tree's leaves falling into the air. Layla looked happy, as the sun shined in her hair. She noticed the same golden ring that she wore, on the girl in the picture.

"I remember this," Layla muttered.

Klaus looked at her confused, "What do you mean?"

Layla shrugged, "Recently I have been getting images of my head, of you and me. It wasn't from this time, but a long time ago."

Klaus cupped her face in his hands, "What the bloody hell are you talking about? This never happened?"

"I.." Layla stuttered, "I don't know, it started the night of the ball, the night you gave me the ring."

Klaus picked up her hand where the ring sat. He placed his lips on her hand, "Then maybe this is our answer to our problems."

Layla wrapped her arms around his neck as she sat on his lap, "How much longer?"

"Till what love?"

Layla sighed, "You know what, until I die. How long did it take before?"

Klaus looked deeply into her eyes. Her eyelashes batted against her bottom lid, she was perfect, in all her imperfect ways. "I give it a few weeks, a few months at the most."

"What will you do when I'm gone?" Layla whispered.

"Mourn, continue on, wait for you, fall in love again," Klaus told her, "Why don't you just let me die?"

Layla shook her head, "I can't do that, you won't come back, I will."

"With no memory of me," Klaus told her, "How many times can I handle your death before I become mad?"

"The ring, Klaus," Layla told him, "You give it to me and I will slowly remember."

"And then you die," Klaus sighed.

Layla nodded sadly, but soon it changed to a smile, "What do you want to do today? Get answers of why was I infected by your mother?"

Klaus stroked her cheek, "We are going to find a tree love."

Layla looked at him confused, "A tree?"

Klaus nodded, "A tree that could kill us all."

Layla frowned, "Now we wouldn't want that, now would we Mr. Mikaelson?"

Klaus smirked, "No we wouldn't." He pulled her into a deep passionate kiss. His hands found the way to the small of her back, as her hands gripped around his neck tightly. Klaus loved how he could, hold her, touch her, feel her, kiss her, taste her, all night.

They pulled apart as Layla's phone rang. She scampered across the room to retrieve her phone, Klaus' eyes always on her. She picked up, thing it was strange that the sheriff was calling her.

"Hey Sheriff Forbes," Layla greeted, "What's up?"

"It's Alaric, Layla," she said, "He's been arrest."

"He what?"
***********
Layla walked into the police station. Rebekah drove her down, wanting her to help her find a tree, that could kill them all. Rebekah sat in the car, as Layla went to talk to Alaric.

Layla spotted Damon standing in the police station. She was still mad at him from yesterday but for Alaric's sake she would tolerate him.

"Did you talk to Ric?" Layla asked him.