17.

Klaus looked at Layla, tears streaming down his face. He killed the only one he truly loved. Being a vampire already tore at his heart. His emotions were heightened, the thirst was never ending. He dropped down at her body, "Layla," he cried.

He heard a crack and a pain erupted his arm. His screams of pain, loss, and guilt erupted the silence of the night. Soon figures appeared from the tree line, Elijah and his father.

"Niklaus...."Elijah trailed off, his eyes spotting Layla.

"What have you done boy?" Mikael roared.

Klaus looked down at Layla, "I didn't mean it, oh god Layla!" he yelled, clutching her dead body helplessly.

Mikael's focus went off of Layla and to another crack coming from Klaus. He screamed out in pain again and looked at them, his eyes growing yellow. Mikael's body shook in anger, "Elijah take Layla into the village, I have to deal with Niklaus."

"Father...what is happening?" Elijah asked, looking at his crying brother. Then he realized, his brother was a beast, a werewolf, a hybrid.

Elijah said no more, but tore Niklaus off of Layla's limp body from his grip and took her into the village, his father and brother following staying behind.

*****************************

After last nights events, Layla decided to go to the Salvatore's. The sun shone in her face, and she rolled over with a moan. Her head fell, on someone's bare chest. When her eye's fluttered open, she saw a smirking Damon. She growled, before sitting up in the bed.

"What are you doing?" Layla frowned, sitting up in her bed.

Damon smirked, "What do you think?"

"Being creepy?" Layla smirked.

Damon playfully rolled his eyes at her, "Get up, you don't want to be late to school."

******************

Layla and Elena stood in front of Caroline's locker, decorating it for her birthday.

Bonnie came up behind them, "Hey, sorry I'm late, I... I got held up."

"It's okay," Elena told her, "I just got here too. Can you pass me the balloons?" Bonnie passed her the balloons, "Thanks. What got you running late?"

"I was..." Bonnie began, "Working on some new spells. You?"

"Working out with Alaric," Elena told her, "So, I have something I need to tell you both, and you're not gonna like it."

Layla looked at Elena, "What happened?"

Elena sighed, "Jeremy is gonna be leaving town for a while. He'll be staying with some old family friends in Denver, until this whole Klaus thing blows over."

Bonnie's eyes widened, "Jeremy wouldn't just leave you to deal with Klaus on your own."

"I know..." Elena began, "I asked Damon to compel him."

Bonnie's eyes widened, "You what?"

"I know," she said, "But it's not safe for him here anymore. Leaving will give him a better life. The only reason I'm telling you is because I know that you two haven't really worked out your stuff. And I thought that maybe you'd wanna say goodbye."

Layla looked over at Jeremy with a disappointed look. He was at his locker, cleaning it out. She began to walk over to him. She leaned against his locker and sighed.

"Denver, huh?" Layla sighed, "So, were you going to say goodbye?"

Jeremy smiled, "How could I forget about you?"