Chapter 2: Facing reality

Start from the beginning

I couldn't help but smile witnessing her dull eyes light up in excitement as she reunited with the most chilled out cat.

Brian made it his mission to find her lost cat and to our surprise, we found him resting on his bed which happened to be spared by the fire. Even though there were even more devastating things happening in her life, I was glad to see that infectious smile of hers at least once.

"You brought my cat home. Thank you Brian".

She nuzzled her head on Oreo's who nuzzled back with his eyes shut. The sight was adorable.

"You're welcome baby. You know I'd do anything for you".

Sofia kissed Oreo on his head around 20 times before nodding at Brian.

"Bring my daddy back please. I miss him". 

The room suddenly fell silent. The sweet moment watching Sofia was over. In a split second, I was dragged back into my sad reality.

Brian turned his head to look at me. A frown marring his face as if he were deep in thought.

"Baby, I need to tell you something".

No. He better not.

Just as I went to pull him away, Brian opened his mouth.

"Sweetie, I'm so sorry, but your daddy has gone to heaven".

I felt sick to my stomach watching Sofia's eyes well up with tears. Her bottom lip started to tremble as Brian stroked her hair.

"N-No. He hasn't. Daddy said he would never leave me. He said he would never leave mummy. Bring him back".

Brian shook his head whilst cupping Sofia's tear stricken cheeks.

"I'm sorry sweetie. He's gone. But listen to me. I will look after you, Elle and the baby. Nothing bad will ever happen to you. I love you Sofia. You are my beautiful princess and no-one will ever take you away from me".

Brian pulled Sofia into a hug resting his chin on top of her head as she screamed and cried into his shirt. He stroked her silky hair as her body shook uncontrollably.

Feeling a burning rage inside of me, I swiftly left the room not wanting Sofia to see my anger. I also had to leave as I would have broken down. 

1 hour later

Taking another sip of my green tea, I stared out at the moonlit sky thinking about Oscar and wondering where he was if he was alive. 

I also needed to go home to see my family. No-one knew about Oscar and I nor the fact that I was soon to give birth to a baby. It would be a shock, but I knew I'd have everyone's support. 

I bit my lip thinking about Cal's possible reaction. He would be the crazy unrelated uncle who spoils me and the baby rotten. I could only imagine the type of clothes he would buy for my baby. 

Suddenly Sofia's door opened making me look straight at the person walking out. 

The anger flooded back through me again as I looked straight at Brian who was already looking at me with a perplexed expression.

"She's finally settled" he said as if it made everything better. 

Closing the door behind him, he walked towards me with a sad smile, but the anger tripled as he came to stand before me. 

"Eleanor, say something"-

Screaming in anger, I threw my hand across his face making him stumble back in shock.