3 | eating in the a.m.

NINA

We made it through the house and up the stairs without any trouble. Finding an empty room, though, proved to be a lot more difficult.

Couples were making out and doing other... things, so by the time we got to the last couple rooms, I was getting impatient.

"Hey, this one's empty!" Monroe called out to me, holding the last door open at the end of the hall.

"Finally." I sighed out, entering the quiet, clean room. While I sat down on the neatly-made bed, Monroe opened the window, letting in the cool breeze. Once settled in across from me, we dug in, grabbing our respective meals.

It was quiet for a short moment, though the pause wasn't uncomfortable. Seemed we were just getting a feel of the other, what to say, maybe.

"Wanna ask each other random questions?" Monroe offered, his mouth full of noodles.

With an amused grin, I nodded, clearing my throat. "I'll start." Thinking for a second, my mind came up with, "What's a villain you feel really bad for?"

"A villain? Oh, uh-" he paused to ponder his answer, but then his lips broke out into a grin. A light chuckle erupted. "Dr. Doofenshmirtz."

"From Phineas and Ferb?"

"Yeah, I mean, think about. A large majority of his inventions either fail or are destroyed, his plans are foiled by a crime-fighting platypus, and his childhood backstory is just terrible! He was neglected by his parents and was stuck in his brother's shadow for years!"

"Woah, wait a minute," I cut in before he could ramble on. "Why do you sound so invested in a children's show?" A light blush began to form on his cheeks at my words. "Not that I don't love it- don't get me wrong- but what, is it a hobby?"

"Ah, no, I was just an interesting kid. I just loved animation shows and all that."

"Same with me, it's just movies. I'm not sure why, but I hardly ever finish TV shows."

"What's your favorite genre?"

"Oh, that's a tough one. I should be prepared for this, but I don't have a specific preference. I guess it depends on my mood. I watch Romance movies most of the time, but at the same time, that doesn't mean that I don't favor other types of films. I'm not one for documentaries, though I love true stories- those are always the most heartfelt. I enjoy a good action film, but when it's fast-paced I struggle to keep up. On the other hand, I just, ugh, words cannot express my love for gory, bloody, messy movies. Somehow, I find joy in watching people die in the most gruesome way, and to be quite frank, it's concerning. Like when I'm with a crowd of family or friends, they're always either terrified or amazed at how I handle those scenes. I love horror movies and comedies, as well as science fiction, and the touch of drama they add is just perfect. Then there's sports movies, like underdog ones or rising stars-"

I caught myself suddenly, mentally punching myself for being inconsiderate. "Why'd you stop?" Monroe smiled softly, something like adoration in his eyes.

Flustered, I sputtered out, "S-Sorry, I completely rambled on. I could go on and on about movies."

His smile widened. "I don't mind, I enjoyed seeing you talk about something you're passionate about." He exhaled gently. "The way your eyes light up, the way you look so content... it's refreshing."

Once I got over myself, we continued back and forth with questions, sometimes veering off track.

Somehow we moved onto the floor, myself relishing in the warm fuzz of the carpet in the cool room. Side by side, Monroe and I were close, just a few inches apart, really.

As I was dying laughing about Monroe's favorite ice cream flavor, he sulked, faking his death by stilling his breath.

Once I'd calmed down, he murmured, "I really don't see what's so funny. I just said that my favorite flavor of ice cream is Pistachio-"

I burst out laughing again, having to sit up to catch my breath. "Oh," my lungs filled up as I inhaled sharply with a slight stitch in my side. "No-No one likes Pistachio, I'm sorry to break it to you!"

"So! I do, and what of it?" His gaze on me dared me to speak out.

I wiped at my damp cheeks with a chuckle. "It's just- I swear it's the least favored flavor next to food-flavored ice cream."

"Yeah, yeah." I slumped back down next to him, sighing. "So, wanna continue where we left off?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, about the whole drinking thing. About why you don't drink. It's quite uncommon to find someone in this town that doesn't drink who isn't under the age of 16." I began to hesitate, my previously upbeat mood squashed some. Sensing this, Monroe began to take back his request. "You don't have to answer if it's too sensitive-"

"No, it's fine." I stared up at the ceiling, subconsciously connecting them to form nonexistent shapes. "I'm not sure if you've already heard about it, but my older brother, Nate, nearly killed a woman in a car crash he caused." My hands began to mess with the carpet beside me. "He was drunk."

"Where is he now?" Monroe turned to me.

"He spent his two years in prison and had his license suspended while the woman was stuck in a coma." I paused for a second, my mind wandering to that strange and broken period of my life. Watching helplessly as my brother led himself down a dark path was enough trauma for me to experience, even if the accident didn't directly effect me. "You should see him, Monroe. How when he comes home from the hospital, he feels so angry at himself. He's never touched a bottle since then, you know." My eyes met his. "So I don't drink either, although I'm not quite keen on the idea of a banging hangover."

"Oh, it's no fun, that's for sure." At his words, my eyebrows raised. "It's not like that, it's just-" Monroe sighed heavily, raking a hand through his hair. "Okay, you wanna know why I don't drink?"

"I-I mean, if you don't mind sharing." Guilt ran through me, the notion that Monroe's story might be too personal occurring to me.

"I don't mind if it's you." He looked me square in the eye, his gaze intense like he was meaning to say something more.

"O-Okay."

What was that supposed to mean? What was so special about me to him?

"My dad... he used to abuse my mom, younger sister, and I when he was drunk."