t w e n t y - o n e

Start from the beginning

    "Thank you." He says looking up at him. "What time is it?"

    "Almost seven. The appointment's at seven-thirty." Taehyung says checking his phone. "We should leave now."

    "Yeah," Jeongguk responds standing and grabbing the coffee Taehyung poured for him.

    "Should I drive?" Taehyung asks as Jeongguk grabs his keys.

    "No. I'm awake." He responds before letting Taehyung lead the way out of the apartment.

The appointment goes well. Dr. Song tells them that the ultrasound looks great and that the twins are progressing well. Taehyung's tests come back great and soon they're on their way out.

It seems the further along he gets the quicker the appointments go.

    "Seokjin's meeting me and the others for lunch today," Taehyung says as Jeongguk drives away from the doctor's office. "Would you come?"

    "As a sober companion?" Jeongguk asks glancing over at Taehyung.

    "No. Just because I want you to." He says looking down at the ultrasound photo. "Aw, look they're facing each other."

    "I see," Jeongguk says barely looking at the photo as he focuses on the road. "I would, Tae. But I have some stuff to take care of."

Taehyung pouts softly but he nods in understanding. "Alright."

Jeongguk glances over at the brunette to see if he was upset. Finding an unreadable expression on his face as he stares out the window.

He wanted to stay and do whatever Taehyung wanted him to but he had things he needed to sort out with his dad.

That, and he missed his visit with his mother last week.

~Jeon residence...~

"Ma?"

Jeongguk sighs as he tries the locked door again. Looking down the hall for someone to open the door for him.

"Ma, open the goddamn door." He groans in aggravation, still trying the locked door.

"She's been in there since Sunday."

Jeongguk follows his brother's voice to the staircase. Finding him standing at the top ready to go down. "Sunday? Why didn't you tell me that when I was here yesterday?"

"We had bigger problems." Jihyuk shrugs indolently. "She's a grown woman. Who cares if she locks herself in her room."

"Can you just open it?" Jeongguk asks disregarding Jihyuk's apathy concerning his mother.

Jihyuk sighs walking over to the door with his keys. "You should talk to dad before you go."

"Whatever." The ravenette says as the door opens. Walking into his mother's dim room before shutting the door on Jihyuk.

He walks over to his mother's bedside table and turns on the lamp. Finding his mother laying in bed with her back facing him.

"Ma?" He says kneeling on the bed and placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's me."

Mrs. Jeon doesn't respond to him. Keeping her tired eyes focused on something far away as she ignores his presence.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner," Jeongguk says still looking at her expectantly. "I never miss a week. I wouldn't have done it on purpose. Okay, ma?"

Jeongguk sighs softly when he doesn't get a response. Standing up from the bed to clear some of the clutter piled on on her bedside table. Including food wrappers, drinking glasses, tissues, and her favorite prescription pills.